Tripod Recommendation

Guest Christian Kinnard

Guest ChristianK

Just bought an Arri BL 16. I'm an Editor who just wants to get a closer understanding of film, so I don't plan on doing any serious projects. However, I would't want a crappy tripod that I would want to throw in the river everytime I used it. Anyone have a recommendation for a good tripod reasonably priced (used,new, whatever)? I would prefer to spend around $500 dollars, but could probably talked into something around $750.

Thanks for any help.

Christian

Just bought an Arri BL 16. I'm an Editor who just wants to get a closer understanding of film, so I don't plan on doing any serious projects. However, I would't want a crappy tripod that I would want to throw in the river everytime I used it. Anyone have a recommendation for a good tripod reasonably priced (used,new, whatever)? I would prefer to spend around $500 dollars, but could probably talked into something around $750.

Thanks for any help.

Christian

I'm very happy using manfrotto tripods - check out their range :)

Thanks for any help.

Christian

Any tripod that can handle a Betacam will be suitable for the Arri 16BL. At the money you've got available a good used one would be the best option. One of the older tripods that are "too heavy" would be a good buy, they're usually well engineered and can last a life time if well maintained.

i suppose you need a head and legs?

like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sachtler-20-tripod-spr...1QQcmdZViewItem

that would be quiet the right size for a bl.. altough i think as far as smooth operating goes, the head cant be too big.

transportation -wise it's another story.....

i am a sachtler fan. i like the quicklock system, which i consider as way more robust and practical as those vinten -stuff.

plus they are undestroyable.

i frequently work with a sachtler video30 head thats about 20 years old and has been in the desert several times, mounted on cameracars, and also used in extreme cold or humid and overall nasty conditions,

and it still works better than any other head i've yet laid my dirty hands on.