Which to convert to S16

Richard Mills

I've got two cameras, one is an Arri SR1, the other is an Eclair ACL. Both regular 16.

One is going to get converted to super16 in '06. I want to make an informed decision on which to convert. I know the cost to convert each camera. Outside of costs, what other factors should I consider before I box the choice up and send it off to conversionland.

Thanks

Richard Mills

Phoenix, AZ

• Premium Member
I've got two cameras, one is an Arri SR1, the other is an Eclair ACL. Both regular 16.

One is going to get converted to super16 in '06. I want to make an informed decision on which to convert. I know the cost to convert each camera. Outside of costs, what other factors should I consider before I box the choice up and send it off to conversionland.

Thanks

Richard Mills

Phoenix, AZ

Hi,

Beware of cheap incomplete conversions to an SR1. Its an expensive job to do well. The Arri has been the workhorse of the rental business for many years for a good reason.

Have a look at http://www.cinematechnic.com/ Jorge is a very experianced DP / camera tech that you can trust.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen Williams

• Premium Member
Hi,

Beware of cheap incomplete conversions to an SR1. Its an expensive job to do well. The Arri has been the workhorse of the rental business for many years for a good reason.

Have a look at http://www.cinematechnic.com/ Jorge is a very experianced DP / camera tech that you can trust.

Stephen

I agree with everything Stephen said. Jorge does good work. Axel Broda, the mythical Arri guru, is still around and still doing SR1 conversions to Super 16, I would definitely talk to him as well. (661)821-6725.

-Tim Carroll

I agree with everything Stephen said. Jorge does good work. Axel Broda, the mythical Arri guru, is still around and still doing SR1 conversions to Super 16, I would definitely talk to him as well. (661)821-6725.

-Tim Carroll

Thanks for the info.

I know Jorge, and if I choose the Arri I was going to have him do it.

Met him when I was going to the Workshops in Maine. Brought my camera with me and he checked it out while I was there. Found out that my camera was quiter than his SR2 which he converted.

My biggest concern is noise after the conversion. I had heard that it could be a problem with conversions.

Richard Mills

Phoenix, AZ

To me this is not much of a choice. Converted to S-16 the Arri SR is approaching a modern, commercially viable production camera. Converted and jazzed up, the Eclair ACL is still an outmoded machine with limitations on accessories, parts and performance. I don't wax poetic about the SR, but one simple fact is that it is a very popular camera and service, accessories and industry acceptance can be found anywhere for it. That's how I'd invest my money.

• 2 weeks later...
To me this is not much of a choice. Converted to S-16 the Arri SR is approaching a modern, commercially viable production camera. Converted and jazzed up, the Eclair ACL is still an outmoded machine with limitations on accessories, parts and performance. I don't wax poetic about the SR, but one simple fact is that it is a very popular camera and service, accessories and industry acceptance can be found anywhere for it. That's how I'd invest my money.

Thanks Mitch, I have read you thoughts on the SR in the past :)

I was leaning toward the SR although it does cost a wee bit more to convert.

But in the end, as you said, I'll end up with a viable product.

Richard Mills

Phoenix, AZ

Having said this, I should also note that I recently gave Tim the advice NOT to convert his Arri SR, but instead to sell it and buy a Super-16 Aaton LTR54 instead. The out of pocket costs in the end would be about the same and I greatly prefer the Aaton to the same vintage SR. Personal taste, but I'm certainly not alone on this. Once you go French...