handheld shots

Ravi Walia

Hi

I saw a film called NARC(dir Joe Camahan).Right in the begining there is a handheld shoulder shot of a cop chasing a drug peddler.With a tele lens on it is difficult to do that kind of chase.Any idea how that was executed. Thanks LAMA

Check out the DVD extras - not sure which version

There was quite a bit on the dvd extras about that scene - can't remember but it seeemed like one of those lucky shots : the biggest problem was ADR'ing the sound later

Basically took a cameraman and told the actor to run flat out and the cameraman had to keep up handheld (maybe on a shoulder rig) - nothing sexy

one of the best shots in that film - I agree

thanks

Rolfe

I saw it.

I don't remember the shot being particularly "tele".

Just your basic shaky as hell running handheld shot.

I thought the best shot in the film, was when Jason Patrick & Ray Liotta were sitting in the car, overcast day, and there was a very slow dolly move sideways, and the reflection of the dead trees was in the car windows, looking like wicked claws or something.

Other than that, I didn't care for the film that much.

Seemed like just another "Tarrantino" ripoff (although probably the best one done yet), which is what Joe Carnahan is all about anyway.

You know, lots of violence, every sentence is someone yelling fu** at someone as if for punctuation.... zzzzzzzzzzzz

MP

• Premium Member

There was an AC article in the 2002 December issue. I'm out of town at the moment so i can't look it up, but if I recall correctly, they used an Arri 2C with a pistol grip under the camera and the operator went chasing after the actors at full speed (and obviously not looking through the viewfinder). I could be wrong though, so check the article for yourself.

That first scene really really impressed me.

It is not just the long run, but the sound, the crying woman, and the screamings. We´ve seen similar things in Saving private ryan and Strange days, but Narc is an astoundishing small movie that has become one of my favorites.

I still do not know why it is so good to so many people, since the script and the action is nothing better than any standard TVmovie. But it is not.

It is hard to make a running shot like this without saking so much the camera that you actually see nothing. The Narc scene is very well done. Cameraman had to be in good shape to do this. Anything bigger than a Arri2C would require to change operator for each take :lol:

Edited by macgregor