best diffuser material @ walmart? or elsewhere?

This is a Professional board, try a Professional solution. Keep that Wally world crap in your no budget DIY DV forums.....

On 'Network' Owen Roizman used coffe cans as light housings. He asked the caterer to order all the coffee for the shoot at the start, open all the cans & store the coffee in plastic bags.

From AC &/or an AFI seminar.

& in the commentary on the "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfe', Haskell Wexler mentions that he went to 'a hardware store' and bought some 'window screen' to put in front of the lens because he had read in a Kodak

book in a 'phoyo shop' that one could get an interesting look around lights.

This is for the road house parking lot night exterior.

---LV

• Premium Member
On 'Network' Owen Roizman used coffe cans as light housings. He asked the caterer to order all the coffee for the shoot at the start, open all the cans & store the coffee in plastic bags.

From AC &/or an AFI seminar.

& in the commentary on the "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfe', Haskell Wexler mentions that he went to 'a hardware store' and bought some 'window screen' to put in front of the lens because he had read in a Kodak

book in a 'phoyo shop' that one could get an interesting look around lights.

This is for the road house parking lot night exterior.

---LV

Absolutely. Look around a hardware and/or junk store for a bit and you can get some really nice ideas for useful stuff. Just today I bought several pieces of military surplus mosquito netting to knock down windows when I'm doing day interiors.

• Premium Member

For the money I think it's just easier, safer, and give the best results to buy a sheet of Lee 216 or equivalent from a place like BH photo. THis stuff is designed to be placed on lights and will last far longer than what you would buy at Wallmart for the same price in the end.

Walter Graff

BlueSky Media, Inc.

888.435.5428 ext 31

Cell 917.217.9766

walter@bluesky-web.com

www.bluesky-web.com

Offices in NYC and Amherst Mass.

• Premium Member

Hey Walter,

I bought a roll of full white and half white from B&H. It's tough as nails and does a great job. I think this guy was looking for solutions at no cost. While I can certainly appreciate that, I really like having the commercial stuff.

• Premium Member
For the money I think it's just easier, safer, and give the best results to buy a sheet of Lee 216 or equivalent from a place like BH photo. THis stuff is designed to be placed on lights and will last far longer than what you would buy at Wallmart for the same price in the end.

Hi,

A pad of Tracing paper was good enough for Douglas Slocombe, when I worked with him.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Most "Theatrical supply houses" carry all of the pro gels and diffusion and sell at lower mark up. They usually have the "pro stuff" in large sheets and rolls.

Usually have swatch books for free and give you access to the materials so you can browse.

Here is a link for folks in Chicago by way of example: http://www.designlab-chicago.com/