Westerns shot in US

Filip Plesha

• Premium Member
Hi

Can someone please give me a list of fameous (projected all over the world) westerns that were shot in US and possibly by US authors.

Also, could you tell me the location where it was shot and which format?

thank you

Here is a list of the films that had portions shot in Monument Valley, Utah: Locations-R-Us

Everything you are looking for (well, a lot of it) can be found on www.imdb.com

Vasquez Rocks is famous for the volume of films that have been shot there. It's a few hours from LA. Just look up "Vasquez Rocks" for the credits. My favorite all-american western is either The Searchers or Silverado. Silverado was shot in Arizona, I think. I forget where The Searches was shot.

Edited by David Sweetman

I forget where The Searches was shot.

---Monument Valley and Bronson Canyon.

Isn't the original question a bit broad?

How many westerns were shot in the US?

Does Mexico count?

If so, nearly every one up 'til the 60s.

Get Phil Hardy's encyclopedia of Westerns.

---LV

Actually, the reason I asked this is because I wanted to enrich my DVD collection with a nice western (noticed that I didn't have any of those in it) , that really is shot on the west. I wanted one that would show a lot of real american scenery.

I've chosen "The Searchers" because, at least from a short investigation that I did, I think no other western shows such beautifull scenery in such amount like that film does (and monument valey is my favorite location in the entire US, If I ever went to US, that's the place I'd visit for sure).

Plus it features John Wayne, and is shot in Vistavision. Perfect fast-choice western.

Too bad they didn't shoot it in Technirama, I find it to be a slightly better version of Vistavision (nice aspect ratio, plus that special technirama chemical treatment to the negative that technicolor did for extra sharpness).

I wanted one that would show a lot of real american scenery.

Not a western but some of the most amazing photography of Monument Valley and the rest of the US for that matter.

Every Cinematographer should know this movie.

Koyaanisqatsi (1983)

And if you don't believe me check out the user comments on IMDB.

Edited by Dickson Sorensen

Actually, the reason I asked this is because I wanted to enrich my DVD collection with a nice western (noticed that I didn't have any of those in it) , that really is shot on the west. I wanted one that would show a lot of real american scenery.

In that case, you should also consider King Vidor's 'Northwest Passage' 1940. A borderline western, but a frontier movie about Roger's Rangers in the French & Indian . Filmed on location around payette Lake, Idaho. Spectacular lakes and forests in three-strip Technicolor. It would be a nice conrast to the deserts of 'The Searchers'.

The dramatic climax of 'The Searchers' takes place in Bronson Canyon, which is near the Hollywood sign.

This is a shocker since that location was frequently used in cheap science fiction movies like 'The Robot Monster' and 'Teenage Cavemen'.

The J.Wayne character in 'The Searchers' is, what is called in my part of the country as a big jagoff.

The a is pronounced very nasally.

---LV

• Premium Member

There were some so-so movies made in the 1960's that made good use of the American West landscapes, films like "Cheyenne Autumn", "How the West Was Won" and "Greatest Story Ever Told".

How The West Was Won (3-camera Cinerama)

western1.jpg

western2.jpg

Greatest Story Ever Told (Ultra Panavision)

western3.jpg

western4.jpg

In some ways, though, I prefer the b&w photography of Monument Valley in Ford's "My Darling Clementine"...