25fps conversion to 24fps - Kinor 16mm camera

Raymond O'Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The electrical motor 29EPSS of Kinor 16 camera can be adjust for sped 24 fps very easy.

Will need adjust of variable resistor on seed control.

This is resistor can control from outside.

The motor can be modifed on multi speed vetsion with speed from 12 fps up to 50 fps.

The hand control of speed possible too.

The recording of sync sound possible with Kinor camera too.

Kinor camera have low volume of noise.

The electrical motor have Pilot signal generator 25 fps speed = 50 Hz 10 v.

Other technical questions, you can send to me olex@a-teleport.com

• 1 year later...
sorry to bring up an old topic, but how easy is it to modify the camera from 25fps to 24fps? Is it something that a relatively inexperienced person can do (me) or would it require sending the camera away?

From one side ( for camera technician ), this is not complex procedure, as for you, i don't know.

At first, you need device for measuring of frequency and small watch screwdriver.

If you look at rear side of motor, you can see small hole near big know for rotation of axis of motor.

You need set of screwdriver on this hole and turn of axis of variable resistor.

If the electronics of motor work fine, the speed will change.

But, you need measuring of speed of camera.

If you open of rear side of motor and connect device for measuring of frequency with resistor R6, you can measuring of signal from feed back of motor.

The frequency must be 960 Hz at 24 fps.

The other point for measuring of speed - Pilot Tone signal.

This is pins 4, 2 of Pilot Tone socket.

The pilot tone must have frequency 480 Hz.

If you will have problem do this, you can send me motor and i will adjust of 24 fps speed.

If you wish have modern crystal sync speed motor, i can propose of upgrade of electronics on modern multi speed, crystal sync microprocessor based version with 6, 10, 16 fixed crystal sync speeds or with speed synthesizer, digital film counter, digital voltmeter.

The new version of motor have international glass fuse and 4 pin XLR power socket.

As discussed many times on this forum, 24fps and 25fps are, for the most part, interchangeable.

The only thing that has to be done usually is audio correction. There is typically never any alteration to the picture.

I just shot a music video overseas at 24fps for 25fps delivery, and a music video in Miami at 25fps for 24fps delivery (long story). Never once did I have a problem. By the way, these were both 1:1, progressive scan conversions -- there was no "pulldown" needed to convert one to the other.

The basic idea is to carry out your post at whatever frame rate the camera originally shot. At the VERY END is where the conversion takes place. In rare cases you may need to conform clips to the desired output rate (24fps in your case), but usually you don't have to do this.

Now if post isn't your thing, I suggest shooting at the desired output frame rate. But even if the camera shoots 24.000fps, you still need to do some minor audio correction to get it to match NTSC's rate of 23.976/29.97fps.