Dark feeling

Dave Plake

Hello all, I am shooting 35mm outdoors on a beach. I however want it to look blue and have an early morningish feel to it. In addition I want there to be an air of somberness because someone has just passed away. It needs to be very stialized and it I don't want it to replicate reality. Should I get crazy with filters? or should I rely heavily on DI? A vague question for sure...If you have any ideas plese send em my why and I can answer specific questionas as well. You guys are the best!

D

• Premium Member
Hello all, I am shooting 35mm outdoors on a beach. I however want it to look blue and have an early morningish feel to it. In addition I want there to be an air of somberness because someone has just passed away. It needs to be very stialized and it I don't want it to replicate reality. Should I get crazy with filters? or should I rely heavily on DI? A vague question for sure...If you have any ideas plese send em my why and I can answer specific questionas as well. You guys are the best!

D

Well, shoot early morning-ish for starters... hopefully on a foggy day. You can easily create a cool tone by shooting on tungsten-balanced stock with no correction filter, or a partial one for a half-blue look. You could add to the oppressiveness of the sky by perhaps using a soft-edged ND grad filter.

Are you shooting the East Coast or the West Coast?

I was going to suggest referencing "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"'s beach scenes. Very low-contrast and misty. Also never seen a snowy beach on film before that. . . if there are people in the shot, you could bundle them up, use wind machines, imply cold. I'm thinking mis en scene more than cinematography.

Well, shoot early morning-ish for starters... hopefully on a foggy day. You can easily create a cool tone by shooting on tungsten-balanced stock with no correction filter, or a partial one for a half-blue look. You could add to the oppressiveness of the sky by perhaps using a soft-edged ND grad filter.

Are you shooting the East Coast or the West Coast?

I should have mentioned from the get go.... This will be shot in Hawaii, and unfortunately, will be shot later in the day. The sun is bright and the sky is usually blue with nice white happy fluffy clouds. Thus my challenge.