Difference between Arri standard and bayonet

Guest 3ldfilms

Guest 3ldfilms

Can someone describe the difference between an Arri bayonet and standard mount. Being primarily a director I have not paid much attention to the mounts in the past, but I just got a Super 16 K-3 with crystal motor and Arri standard mount.

I'm looking to get a couple of extra lenses. Can one get adapter between bayonet and standard?

Can someone describe the difference between an Arri bayonet and standard mount. Being primarily a director I have not paid much attention to the mounts in the past, but I just got a Super 16 K-3 with crystal motor and Arri standard mount.

I'm looking to get a couple of extra lenses. Can one get adapter between bayonet and standard?

An Arri Bayonet mount lens like the Optar Illuminas I have, has two little metal parts which protrude out of it on opposite ends (its easier to show a picture than describe it.) On my ACL they go into an adapter that has room for these two parts. The adapter which I got from Les Bosher, has a locking mechanism to hold the lens in place.

I used to have an Arri Standard lens, the Angenieux 10-150. It didn't have the metal parts jutting out of the side, but went into the mount straight, and you would tighten it up once it was seated in the hole.

Here are a couple of links which give much more lucid descriptions of these mounts:

http://www.cinematechnic.com/resources/arri_16bl.html

Look under lens mount.

Also try:

http://www.rondexter.com/professional/equi..._and_mounts.htm

Hope this helps,

Mike

---NO. A standard mount lens will fit in a bayonet camera mount, but not the other way around. Both mounts have the same flange depth and diameter. The two nobs on the bayonet give the lens a more secure grip, but prevent the bayonet mount from going into the standard recepticle.

---LV

Guest 3ldfilms
Are you sure it's an Arri Standard mount? My K3 has a bayonet but I think it's proprietary. The flange focal depth and mount diameter don't seem right.

When Du-All does there upgrade they also switch the mount to Arri Standard which is both a blessing and a curse. I have a couple of Pentax Super Takumar lenses that are great on K3s (even though they are 35mm still lenses) that I can't use any more.

Ed