slow motion

rob spence

Hi

I've posted this on the 16mm thread aswell.

I could do with a video of a test film that illustrates the differences between all of the slow motion speeds...say from 8fps to 150 fps...otherwise I'll probably have to test all my speeds myself. However with all of the combinations of frames per second and the speed of action in front of the camera it could end up being expensive...plus I can't believe that a manufacturer has'nt produced one in the past.

Many thanks

Rob Spence

40% is best. for all situations. (I will hear no naysayers)

haha jk. 40% has always been my favorite for dramatic slowmo but there is room to play. I would do the video thing. I started my career editting snowboarding videos, so I have found I have a good grasp of how slow is slow, but it takes experience. I cant give you a number and tell you thats the way you should go, but test things out. premiere and some motion clips are all you will need. Premiere registers in percent of original speed, so do some math to figure out the frame rate (ie 1 / 0.40 (%) = 2.5 (slowmo factor) x 24(normal framerate) = 60 frames/sec =40%)

but like David said its very subjective so test until you find that sweetspot that sells it for you.

I could do with a video of a test film that illustrates the differences between all of the slow motion speeds...say from 8fps to 150 fps...otherwise I'll probably have to test all my speeds myself. However with all of the combinations of frames per second and the speed of action in front of the camera it could end up being expensive...plus I can't believe that a manufacturer has'nt produced one in the past.

Many thanks

Rob Spence

Check out Poser at http://www.e-frontier.com

With this program you can animate walking and running figures at different speeds. With a little math you should be able to make a correlation between the animated speeds in the program and the film fps. You can also use this program to design camera moves around a figure.

I just looked at the latest version and it looks like you can now enter your frame rate. so there you are.

Edited by Dickson Sorensen