Steps to calibrate two cameras

jasonjoseph

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to calibrate two cameras, a HVR-Z1 and a HVRA1P ? At the moment the colour output from these cameras is different and brightness is different too.

Also tips on setting up a monitor would be great.

Newbie~

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to calibrate two cameras, a HVR-Z1 and a HVRA1P ? At the moment the colour output from these cameras is different and brightness is different too.

Newbie~

do all that crap in post production. final cut pro, don't worry about 'camera settings'

• Premium Member
do all that crap in post production. final cut pro, don't worry about 'camera settings'

Hi,

I don't agree. Camera settings are very important when recording to a compressed format. If it's not on the original you can't recover it!

Stephen

For PAL monitors, switch the camera to bars, then adjust the brightness control on the monitor so that the Black bar on the right of screen matches the screen surround. Then you need to switch the monitor to Blue Only. The switch for this is usually bottom left. The display will change to black & white bars. Use the Chroma control to adjust the left most black bar so that it matches the surrounding screen, then use the Contrast control to make the extreme left bar White. Switch off the Blue Only, and your monitor should be properly lined up.

• Premium Member
Hi,

Newbie~

Hello Jason,

Sounds like you need the manuals to these cameras. You want to learn how to ?white balance? the camera to match existing light and learn to operate the iris and shutter to control exposure. If you?re trying to match two cameras so that the over-all images are close to the same color balance, you would first white balance each camera on the same white card in the same light. If one camera appears bluer or warmer than the other, put some color correction gel on the light and rebalance camera. See if it gets you any closer. The HVR-Z1 may be easier to bring in line to the A1P, since it has gamma control and the A1P has a single CMOS. Color correction gels are used to change the color temperature, or Kelvin, at which a particular light is burning. These gels come in different strengths from 1/8th to full. Full daylight is bluer than household tungsten lamps or studio halogens. The camera?s white balance function performs a calibration that allows the camera properly reproduce colors under existing light conditions. You can manipulation this calibration by white balancing to subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) colors. Several video supply vendors carry what are called ?warming cards,? which are used to produce a warmer look on a tungsten setting (3200K) than would have been achieved with a white card. Visit Roger Macie?s site at http://www.macievideo.com/products.htm to see an example. Usual disclaimer, Roger doesn?t pay me or send gifts. I hope this helps Jason.

Regards,

• Premium Member
Hi

i agree with Stephen, as an editor i wouldn't like to be given the extra task of fixing someone else's 'crap'

Newbie~

Hi,

The whole point of grading is to make the image perfect, not make `crap' look acceptable!

The ability to fix it in post, is not an excuse for bad workmanship. Many things cannot be fixed!

Stephen

Guest G . Stephen Bruno

:blink: ....

much like jason, if i had to deal with that headache in post, as a editor, i would be very annoyed. Do you have access to a waveform/vector? Dont they make CCU's for these types of cameras?