Freedom Of Expression

Cheney says he is for expanding presidential powers to near-dictator level. Obviously a court will have to step in and limit them at some point. In the end in 2008 a democrat will be elected and most of the changes we have seen over the last 8 years will be rolled back.

But why would the democrats do that? If they were to get in they might find the new changes to be useful.

Especially if the public aren't that bothered about it all...

love

Freya

I agree with the orwellian statement though. I feel so useless at times. Making movies with a political drive doesn't do anything (Goodnight and Goodluck; great film, but hasn't "accomplished anything"), Munich, and (ugh) Michael Moore Docs.

I think that political films do make a difference. Maybe not in a direct way but in the sense that they add to the flow of ideas and add to the diversity and freedom of expression which in itself could be seen as political.

It's only when you don't have the freedom of expression that you perhaps realise what a special and important thing it is.

It's good to be able to express yourself, it's good to be able to moan about the rain, even if it won't change it because you can then share how you feel with another person, and maybe they will say "you know, I hate it when it rains too!" Then you will both laugh and the rain won't matter so much anymore.

I also don't think you can say that political films don't do anything. It may seem that way, because there is not neccesarily a direct reactionary response to the film, but that doesn't mean that nobody has been affected by the film or that it has made no difference. The world is full of complexity.

love

Freya

I've been trying to read "Natural cures that 'they' don't want you to know about"... anyone finding a natural cure for anything, get's accused of practicing medicine without a liscense, to protect the drug industry. It's sick, and it's immoral.

This isn't strictly true.

You can give people all the snake oil in the world and say it may heal them.

You cannot, however, advise someone to take something and say it will heal them unless you do a certain amount of scientific study. You have to show that not only is it actually beneficial, but that it doesn't cause any harm.

I do believe that the pharmaceutical industry exercises an unhealthy (pardon the pun) amount of influence in Washington, and perhaps have drugs approved that perhaps shouldn't be.

But that doesn't mean they should open the floodgates and let any confidence man (Trudeau) advise you to take whatever he says.

• Premium Member

Anyone who thinks the natural cure market isn't just as money-driven as the pharmaceutical industry is deluding themselves. It's a major business out there and much less regulated, so be careful. I'm not saying that the business practices of the major drug companies aren't somewhat immoral and destructive, only that if the issue is efficacy of treatment, some "natural" cures are questionable. Also, there is a misperception that if a drug is organic and comes straight from a leaf, root, or ground rock, it must somehow be less harmful to the body just because it's less synthetic.

• Premium Member

This just gets better and worse... "it's only birdshot" right?

he 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot in or touching his heart and he had "a silent heart attack" Tuesday morning, hospital officials said.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear all,

This brings to my memory what one of the founding fathers has said: "When the government fears the people it is democracy, but when people fear the government then it is tyranny."

This is exactly what is starting to happen.

It's almost as scary as people who try to rewrite history...wouldn't you say?