Key Gripping

Jamie Metzger

I really enjoy key gripping. If I can't DP/AC/Gaff on a film, my next choice is to Key grip; mainly because I can work closely with the camera dept, and always invent a new way for them to get their shots.

In the American Cinematographers Issue featuring King Kong, they speak about Tony Keddy, which makes me happy, because it's not often a Key Grip get's recognition.

The showed the contraption that he made; the parallel zipline, that had dolly wheely inverted, and held a platform that enabled the camera op to run after the actors.

What a great design.

Things like this are the kind of things that make me feel good, or excited about the film industry, since every tool we use these days was created by someone in the industry, and it's all very creative poop.

I think evey film should try and push some kind of creative limit on what a camera can do, or how it can be used.

Please love your Key Grips.

• Premium Member

The first dolly I built used a small wooden paltform with skateboard wheels. I took apart my father's aluminum ladder and used it for tracks. I used identical folding ladders for elevation and mounted the camera on an baby. It could track 20 feet and was as smooth as a baby's butt. Darn cheap, too. Got in trouble for heisting my dad's ladders. Ah, memories of youth!

Guest Matt Sander

Yeah I have really enjoyed Key Gripping on a few sets too. The Key Grip is, in my experience the most imporant man for the DP to develop a great creative relationship with.

Well, yeah, but that's hoping that the DP want's to get creative, and needs help developing the shots, and then in return the Key grip will come with it.

thanks for the link, I looked around but hadn't located it.

image16.jpg

Edited by Jmetzger

• 3 weeks later...