Filmout vs. blowup

Stuart Brereton

I'm working on a short film to be shot on Super 16 (7205 probably). It's going to be TK'd to HD-Cam, then cut at SD, then the HD rushes conformed.

The Directors are hoping to find the money for a 35mm print at some point, and they're asking which route to take:

1. 35mm film out from HDCam masters

or

2. 16mm neg cut and optical blowup to 35mm.

I don't know how these compare in price, but how about in quality?

• Premium Member
I'm working on a short film to be shot on Super 16 (7205 probably). It's going to be TK'd to HD-Cam, then cut at SD, then the HD rushes conformed.

The Directors are hoping to find the money for a 35mm print at some point, and they're asking which route to take:

1. 35mm film out from HDCam masters

or

2. 16mm neg cut and optical blowup to 35mm.

I don't know how these compare in price, but how about in quality?

Stuart,

If you don't need a major grade, then a 16mm optical blow up done well, will IMHO be better and cheaper.

You need to see some optical blow ups from the optical house before making a final choice, as with DI not every lab is equal!

Cheers

Stephen

• Premium Member

You should consider HDCAM SR over HDCAM. You'll get superior results, whether being used as a video master or for a 35mm film out. By all means, do a 1 or 2 minute film test, both this way and optically, and please share your results with us, as both approaches have their proponents.