Flip4Mac

Tenolian Bell

Microsoft has abandoned future development of Windows Media Player for the Mac.

In one sense it doesn't matter as WMP for the Mac is a horrible application, that MS seemed to make no effort to improve. On the other hand it signals the slow departure of MS development for the Mac platform.

As an alternative MS has paid Telestream for an open license to its Flip4Mac application. Flip4Mac converts all Windows Media codecs to play in Quicktime. This includes downloaded video, streaming video, and streaming audio.

Flip4Mac works very well, the Quicktime converted file has full control over the media, unlike WMP which did not even work half the time.

All OS X users can download a free version of Flip4Mac here: www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

If you ever come across a codec that Flip4Mac cannot play you can e-mail the link to Telestream and they will fix the problem in their next update.

MS never allowed WMP for Mac to use Windows DRM (Digital Rights Management). This is still a problem as MS has not licensed its DRM to Flip4Mac either. So currently unfortunately PlaysForSure will not play at all on the Mac.

Guest G . Stephen Bruno

i downloaded it last week and find it to be very smooth. i think flip4mac also povides codecs for export. which kind of doesnt make any sense.

Edited by G . Stephen Bruno

flip4mac also povides codecs for export. which kind of doesnt make any sense.

Exporting Windows Media provides flexibility.

With an upgrade to Flip4Mac Studio you can import Windows Media files, edit them in Apple NLE apps as though they are Quicktime files. You have the choice to export them as Quicktime files or export them as Windows Media files.

Guest G . Stephen Bruno
Exporting Windows Media provides flexibility.

With an upgrade to Flip4Mac Studio you can import Windows Media files, edit them in Apple NLE apps as though they are Quicktime files. You have the choice to export them as Quicktime files or export them as Windows Media files.

that does make sense, the only thing is why, unless its somthing you downloaded, would you be importing a WMV?

either way, i like the codec.

Some of us get handed files from very strange sources sometimes, like some fool asking us to edit a clip that only exists as a little WMV. It's not ideal, but it's business.

I've used Flip4Mac a few times. It's very cool to be able to play WMVs through my Quicktime Player (on a Mac). I always hated WMP because it wasn't very responsive if you wanted to fast-forward or skip around in a clip or get the pixel dimensions or have more than one window of it open at a time. What I DON'T like about F4M is that it only works for WM9, but I need to save down to WM7 most of the time. And I think it's only single-pass.

Guest matthew david burton
Hi,

Don't feel too left out. WMP for Windows is a pretty horrible application, too...

Phil

Here here !

I'd go as far to say windows its self is a mind boggeling disaster thats already happened.

MS has gotten what they deserve already, pitty people are so stupid to buy it still.

-matt

Edited by matthew david burton

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
If you ever come across a codec that Flip4Mac cannot play you can e-mail the link to Telestream and they will fix the problem in their next update.

Doesn't work with the new Intel core duo chip... yet.