The New World

• Premium Member

Just got back from seeing "The New World". Thought the cinematography was superb. My understanding is that this was shot almost entirely with natural lighting. I would consider this a "must see" for the members of this forum.

Edited by dgoulder

• Premium Member

In addition to traditional "color timer", the credits in this movie mention a digital color timer. However, I understood this movie to be optically posted. Where exactly would a digital color timer come into play? (I don't believe this was a reference to digital dailies.) I'm just curious if I was looking at an entirely optical process, from camera negative all the way through release print. Thanks.

• Premium Member

"Opticals" (fades & dissolves, titles over picture, freeze-frames, scratch-removal, repositions, etc.) -- editorial devices which traditionally have been created in an optical printer using dupes, a few can be done with A-B printing (but most studios want a single-strand conformed neg cut) -- these days are more and more often being done digitally even if the overall movie is finished photochemically. Plus the few 65mm shots in the movie probably went through a DI, plus any digital efx shots, digital matte paintings, etc., would require digital timing.