Film stock from 1979

• Premium Member
Is there a snowball's chanch in Hell that some Kodak 5247 from 1979 is still viable?

Even if it was kept refrigerated, it's very likely that gamma rays have caused some degree of fogging and grain buildup in film that old. It would still produce images, but I doubt they would be representative of the product quality when it was fresh.

• Premium Member
Even if it was kept refrigerated, it's very likely that gamma rays have caused some degree of fogging and grain buildup in film that old.

About 6 months ago I took a 36 exp still roll of 5247 which has been sleeping for ten years in my freezer out and had it processed, even their the fog level was up and the speed Down. If you want to use it, whould sugest cutting off a still roll frst and using that for some tests to pick the best Exposure meter setting.

I only payed 1 cent litterally plus 12 bucks shipping for it so I'm not really out anything. I haven't done a scratch test on this camera and I wanted to practice loading the dreaded Konvas mags, so i'm sure it's OK for that purpose. I'd rather screw up old worthless film then ruin good stuff with a mistake. It said in the ad it was old film, I just didn't realize it was THAT old.(':D', 'smid_4')

:D

• Premium Member

You have to mind for the mecanical caracteristics of the stock as well...

I recently used some old 94 stock for teaching my students how to load mags and arri bl 35 camera. (not for shooting nor processing).

The stock was still in its original cans, it had not been manipulated, but had not been kept in a fridge.

The stock was often breaking in the camera when running it...

About 6 months ago I took a 36 exp still roll of 5247 which has been sleeping for ten years in my freezer out and had it processed, even their the fog level was up and the speed Down.

52/7247 had the fog level up and the speed down to begin with :)

Not really, but - and I liked 47 (not everyone did) -- that stock really did not like any real degree of underexposure - really manifest in 16mm - and did not push well either. We used to routinely push one for tabletop etc and it was fine with telecine (pos print on TK-29C's !!) but features at that time you'd often see the dmax go blue like a subtitle saying "This Was Pushed" :D

-Sam