London Xfer Houses

Evan Winter

Hello everyone,

quick question/favour...

who are the transfer houses in london and (fingers crossed) what are their phone numbers?

i've done a little looking on the net and i've heard tell of a little place called 'red' (thanks phil) but no numbers have come across my eager, sweaty, little hands.

:)

thanks for any help

evan winter

i can't see why? :)

phil has been an incredible help and a pleasure to correspond with. although, if memory serves, i do remember having read the odd phil quibble with the UK industry.... :) :) :)

evan

p.s. - to a certain extent, knowing phil's very particular nature gives me confidence in his recommendations. he has a tough standard.

p.p.s - what is considered a 'good' hourly rate for a transfer(telecine) in london?

p.p.p.s - in l.a., n.y., and toronto there are places that sell 'used' film - left over unopened film that has been bought from motion picture productions. the quality control in a lot of these places is excellent (fog testing when they acquire the film and before it leaves the building to go on set and holding film for time periods not in excess of 2 mos, etc). are there similar, high quality control, places in london?? (name? phone number?)

Edited by Evan Winter

• Premium Member
i can't see why? :)

phil has been an incredible help and a pleasure to correspond with. although, if memory serves, i do remember having read the odd phil quibble with the UK industry.... :) :) :)

evan

Hi,

Phil is convinced that there are no good telecine's in London for under about £1000 per hour. Others on this list know rate cards indicate £400-700 per hour, however many deals are done from around £250.

Cheers

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi,

Essentially, if you walk in completely unknown to them you will be paying about £500/hour (don't think I've ever said any different.)

If you are shooting 16, forget short ends or recans, nobody's shooting any so there aren't any leftovers. 35 is slightly easier but availability is still extremely poor compared to somewhere like LA.

You would probably be best served to import the film with you and take it home for transfer. You'll save a packet.

Phil

• Premium Member
Hi,

Essentially, if you walk in completely unknown to them you will be paying about £500/hour (don't think I've ever said any different.)

Phil

Phil,

Sorry if I misquoted you, there was a thread about telecine in London on CML about 6 months ago, mabe the conversation was in USD!

Best wishes

Stephen

Hi Evan,

In addition to Phil's list:

framestore-cfc.com (High end Spirit machines)

TK one ltd 020 7343 6666 (If i remember Rank Cintal machine)

Outside Soho.

todd-ao.co.uk (camden town. I've had one light rushes from them which were ok)

BBC Resources 020 8231 9500 (Older Rank Cintal machine is cheaper)

Soho transfer houses are predominantly dealing with commercial work, therefore to get a good deal you may have to go in after hours or hope that they are not busy and will do a deal. Soho images is a film lab which does a lot of one light rushes.

Nick

thanks everyone!

and phil, i like the suggestion about buying my film here and then flying it back for transfer. i agree that i would save money. but, i must admit, i'm concerned about flying with unexposed film (american security is a little bonkers nowadays and i have nightmares about my film getting xrayed again and again).

i guess i should make a couple calls to the airport and find out what the best way to transport my film is. cause that would be easier - i could fly the film over, develop in london, and transfer back in l.a.

evan

• Premium Member
thanks everyone!

and phil, i like the suggestion about buying my film here and then flying it back for transfer. i agree that i would save money. but, i must admit, i'm concerned about flying with unexposed film (american security is a little bonkers nowadays and i have nightmares about my film getting xrayed again and again).

i guess i should make a couple calls to the airport and find out what the best way to transport my film is. cause that would be easier - i could fly the film over, develop in london, and transfer back in l.a.

evan

Hi,

I would buy the film and process in London. I guess you want to see some rushes before returning home so I guess you will want to telecine in London.

I have sometimes viewed the negative on an analyser in the lab, very much cheeper than transfering or telecine.

Stephen

All the labs have got their own TK departments now.

Technicolor: 020 8759 5432

Deluxe: 01895 832323

A friend of mine who shot a short recently got a deal from Technicolor - Negative Develop, 1 light TK and sync all for 25.5pence per foot. That's their standard 'student' rate.

Good luck!

Edited by flyingpenguins