Beach day exterior moody

Dave Plake

The movie "The Island" is the closest thing to the look I m looking for here. I am shooting on a beach and there are morning shots that need to have an early morning blue look to them. Mid day I still want it to be a stylized crushed black clipped highlight very contrasty moody look. I am going to do much of this in DI, but am looking for suggestions about how to shoot this. I don't want this to feel like a happy beach day. Format is 35 budget is decent.

Thanks!

D

The movie "The Island" is the closest thing to the look I m looking for here. I am shooting on a beach and there are morning shots that need to have an early morning blue look to them. Mid day I still want it to be a stylized crushed black clipped highlight very contrasty moody look. I am going to do much of this in DI, but am looking for suggestions about how to shoot this. I don't want this to feel like a happy beach day. Format is 35 budget is decent.

Thanks!

D

Hi,

I just watched the island recently, and I dont remember much blue, but I do remeber very contrasty "Hot" daylight scenes with clipped highlights and deep blacks. Also, it looked as if the actors skin tones were either warmed up in post seperately from the rest of the image, or the DP actually lit the actors faces with warmer coloured (looked like straw or similar) lights during the exterior shoots. I didn't quite understand your question though: when are you actually shooting? do you have to shoot the blue/moody morning stuff in mid-day as well as the stuff you actually want to look like mid-day? if you explain that people can probably give you better suggestions.

Cheers.

if i recall the island correctly, work with a polarizer, for static shot you could even try a strong reyish graduate filter. you shouldnt have too mcuh contrast problems when the sun is strong...cause then u get lots of contrast anyway...what stock are you shooting on ? how do you light the whole thing ?

Hi,

I just watched the island recently, and I dont remember much blue, but I do remeber very contrasty "Hot" daylight scenes with clipped highlights and deep blacks. Also, it looked as if the actors skin tones were either warmed up in post seperately from the rest of the image, or the DP actually lit the actors faces with warmer coloured (looked like straw or similar) lights during the exterior shoots. I didn't quite understand your question though: when are you actually shooting? do you have to shoot the blue/moody morning stuff in mid-day as well as the stuff you actually want to look like mid-day? if you explain that people can probably give you better suggestions.

Cheers.

I am some stuff to look like early morning. The rest mid day, however the whole thing is to have the moody look. Lighting interiors as well as exteriors is daunting. I am not sure whether I shouild just try to get a well exposed neg and go DI crazy, or whether there is something I can do in camera to achieve the previously discussed look.

D

• Premium Member

Try using a 81EF filter while using a tungsten stock (5279 is a nice and contrasty). Wait for the weather (clouds with sun peaking through). And maybe try a graduated ND. Do you have to manipulate the image in a DI? You might want to do a bleach bypass.

If you're shooting on a cloudy day, use lots of negative fill to get the contrast you're looking for. You also might want to key your talent with a large diffused HMI on a cloudy day so that it's not too flat.