Is the SuperMag dead?

Guest Ian Marks

Guest Ian Marks

I haven't read anything about it lately. If it's dead, is that because a deal couldn't be struck to sell Super 8 film in 400' lengths?

Guest Trevor Swaim

I don't think its dead but I do think that the lack of film in 400' lengths is the reason that no one is talking about it. If I could buy 400' reels from a reliable U.S. source I would be all over it. as it is I'm, one of many people, on the sidelines waiting.

Hello Ian,

There is an article in the January/February issue of SUPER 8 TODAY on The Supermag.

It's a great article. The article also lists the website for The Supermag www.supermag400.com

Hope this helps,

Mike

I might be wrong about this, but I believe that the good folks over at supermag 400 dot com sell 400ft loads (and I believe pre-loaded mags too?). Anyway, I just recently discovered supermag400 and its got me interested in shooting Super8 again. I'm going to be in the market for a couple of Nizo 6080 real soon if I can get a few of these 400ft mags for them!

John Mark King

Guest Ian Marks

If the Supermag folks sold the film, there would be no problem. The best they can do is to refer you to a couple of European suppliers, and those suppliers don't have 400 foot loads either. It seems like the creation of the Supermag was predicated on the possibility of buying fresh Kodak loads in 400 foot lengths (there must have been a deal in the works with Kodak) and without the film, the Supermag is in limbo. It's really a shame.

Guest Trevor Swaim

yeah you can get 200' fuji loads from andec in germany and I believe also from wittner. I seem to recall a deal that fell through with Pro8mm and also a deal that fell through from kodak.

If the Supermag folks sold the film, there would be no problem. The best they can do is to refer you to a couple of European suppliers, and those suppliers don't have 400 foot loads either.

Just had a look at Wittner's site and found 5 different stocks in 400ft on core: Kodak K40, Wittner V50D, Fuji F-500T, F-250D, and Orwo UN54.

Stefan

• 7 months later...

Just talked to Spectra Film & Video in LA and they are supporting the SuperMag. They can supply 400' of Velvia 50D and soon both Velvia 100 and Kodak's 7285 (E100D). The cost of Velvia is $250-$280 and includes processing. I was told the E100 will be less, around $200+ and includes processing.

• Premium Member

I hope there are more cameras that accept it than just the ones on this list. There are not that many at all on the list and they are all cameras that are pretty hard to track down. If it will work on any 60m camera, they should include a lot more than whats on that list.