Price for a cameraman

James Steven Beverly

I don't know if this is the place for this question but here goes, what can a cameraman w/ his own equipment (baisc setup-35mm MOS camera w/ set of mags, set of lenses, tripod, mattebox, basic filters, essental expendables) doing second unit expect to make, low end or average on a low budget ( 1 to 5 mil) shoot. (per day, week)

• Premium Member
I don't know if this is the place for this question but here goes, what can a cameraman w/ his own equipment (baisc setup-35mm MOS camera w/ set of mags, set of lenses, tripod, mattebox, basic filters, essental expendables) doing second unit expect to make, low end or average on a low budget ( 1 to 5 mil) shoot. (per day, week)

Hi,

How much are you offering?

Stephen

Hi John,

It can't be that bad in London, or has Phil been giving an accurate picture!

Stephen

Stephen , dont want to get into [ Phil land ] but i do think unless you are dodgy city broker , this country is in a bad way. Has been for much to long . john.

Blonde scalps are worth more wampum!

No good for you then , dark hair whats left of it , crap scalp . john holland .

• Premium Member
I guess what yor saying is it's pretty much a negotiation there's no avarage or standard rate?

No one wants to reveal what they make because it fixes their position in the pecking order; so while wearing the Producers Hat I have seen costs for those pesky below line camera jockies to be:

In the Indy feature market 2 to 3 K per week for a real but lo-budget production

In the commercial market -TV Commercials Two to Three K per day with a three day week. But depending on the scale 500 to 750 a day or less or up to 10K a day.

It truly is whatever the market will bare.

Learn how to read upside down and beware of people with wheels under their desks

hi yes thats about right , worked on second Star Wars movie , in Norway , was meant to be 2 weeks , turned out nearly 6 , paid loads of money , bought 1 bedroom flat in a suburb of london called sutton , on the strength of that one shoot , doesnt happen any more . shame . john

Hi- With my VERY limited experience shooting second unit (or "additional photography") on a couple TV movies ("P.U.N.K.S." for Disney and "Miracle Dogs" for Animal Planet) it was obvious that it came at the time, after principal photography, that the productions were running out of money. So I didn't buy a 1 bedroom flat in a suburb of london with those paychecks... :)

If you have the contacts already to get the work, it can be a great job!