Filters for my camera

Brian Rose

All,

I'm looking at putting together a nice filter kit for my 16mm. I have an Eclair NPR, with a 12-120 angeniuex that takes 72mm screw in filters. I already have a basic UV, and a circular polarizer, and I gather that I ought to have some colour filters for BW stocks, NDs and fogs, etc. Which filters would you recommend? Which ones would you think cover most sitations possible?

Best,

Brian Rose

• Premium Member

These are what I basically order all the time when renting:

85B

85B/ND combos (85N3, 85N6, 85N9, 85N1.2)

ND (ND.30, ND.60, ND.90, ND1.2)

Pola

85B/Pola combo

Diopters (+1/2, +1, +2, +3)

Optical flat

In addition, usually also:

ProMist (#1/8, #1/4) or GlimmerGlass (#1, #2)

Soft-FX (#1/2, #1) or Classic Soft (#1/4, #1/2)

ND Soft Edge grads (ND6, ND9)

Coral Soft Edge grads (#2, #3, #4)

ND Attenuator (ND6)

81EF (half orange)

82B (half blue)

Split-Diopters (#1, #2, #3)

Sometimes also:

UltraCons (#1, #2, #3)

Smoque (#1, #2, #3)

Guest Ian Marks

To what David said, and assuming that you're not using a matte box, I'd add that while your Angenieux accepts 72mm screw-in filters, it is usually used with a 72mm to Series 9 adapter and Series 9 lens hood. The adapter accepts standard "Series 9" sized drop-in filters, which are a little bigger than 72mm and can be used with a variety of lenses (if you change zooms, you can keep your filters and just buy a different adapter). The adapter probably came with your lens originally. If you don't have it they're not hard to find. Of course, 72mm filters will work in a pinch, but some filters, like the 85b/Pola combo David mentioned, probably won't be available in that size.

Sir,

Actually I do have a matte box, but I'm rather ignorant about the 3x3 and 4x4 inserts for them. I was under the impression that they were more expensive than 72mm screw in types. Am I wrong? How do I store filter inserts? What I mean is, the round types always seem to come with a protective case.

Thanks,

BR

• Premium Member
Sir,

Actually I do have a matte box, but I'm rather ignorant about the 3x3 and 4x4 inserts for them. I was under the impression that they were more expensive than 72mm screw in types. Am I wrong? How do I store filter inserts? What I mean is, the round types always seem to come with a protective case.

Thanks,

BR

Not so sure on price when comparing 3x3 and 4x4 with screw in. I've got that same Angeneiux lens with the 72mm screw on or Series 9 drop in and I also have a 4x4 Van Deinem matte box. I go with the 4x4 filters because then I can also use them with all the rest of my lenses and my matte box fits on my Arri SR and my Arri S, so I only need to buy ones set of filters for both cameras and all my lenses. Something you may want to think about if you plan on getting other lenses for the NPR or someday upgrading to a different camera.

The 4x4 filters from Schneider and from Tiffen, each come in it's own padded soft case. Those are the only two brands of 4x4 filters I own at this time, so I am not sure about the others, but I would assume they come the same way.

-Tim