16 or 35?

The recent thread about ad eaters has reminded me of some of my favorite commercials.

I've aksed a question about this one last year I think, but nobody answered with certainty,

so I'll ask the question again, this time with images to help

What I'm trying to find out is which format was used for this ad: Lewi's "Twisted to fit"

Here are a couple of PAL screens:

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag...he_mill_2lg.jpg

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag...he_mill_1lg.jpg

Now if that is taken from some bad DVD, that grain is probably from video compression, I don't know

But what do you think, does this look like super16 to you or 35mm?

I know it's hard to tell because the screenshots are pretty bad (must be from a DVD), but usually on good clean SD footage you can tell the difference between 16 and 35

Hi,

I agree, I can't see their agency allowing 16mm to be used!

Stephen

Unless for an intentional gritty look

As far as I remember, when it aired, the ad had a very, how to say, filmy rugged look (though not grainy), sort of "music-videos-meets-Kodachrome-home-movie-meets-fashion-photo-shoot" look. It could have easily worked in 16mm too. In fact, It might have even enhanced that look.

• Premium Member
I was just speaking hypothetical.

But I do agree with you

I have heard of some big commercials shot in S16, either for look or for convenience. I saw this great car commercial directed/shot by Eric Saarinen where a camera seems to move like on a Ferris Wheel, rising up over a landscape looking down at a car (I think a Range Rover) and continuing until it is looking upside-down and then plunging into the ground, then rising again in a new location around the world, over and over again, sometimes rising and falling into water while watching the Rover on a barge in a harbor. He did it with a long remote crane off to one side, but the crane was so extended that it was safer to use an Arri-SR3 on it instead of a 35mm camera.