FUJI ETERNA 400T

J Costantini

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

Eterna 400T is a "low-con" stock like Kodak Expression 500T.

Although it's not so far different from Eterna 500T, 250T, 250D in terms of contrast now since they slightly lowered the contrast of the regular stocks and slightly raised it on the 400T stock. But it's still lower in contrast, more pastel, etc.

I shot part of "Northfork" on the old version of Fuji F-400T.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Hey David, you wouldn't happen to remember what specific scenes were shot on Fuji stock, would you?

Yes, for the most part. About 70% of the movie was shot on F-125T.

The F-400T scenes were the scenes in the orphanage with Nick Nolte, one interior scene in the angel's/gypsy's split-house (the one where they are examining the feathers in the book, sitting around the table -- I ran out of F-125T so had to switch), the interior dam corridoor and dam meeting room/bunker, the interior of the ark boathouse, and the diner.

All the other gypsy house scenes were shot on F-125T because I wanted to use a #1 ProMist and heavy smoke and figured the slower stock would combine better with that much diffusion.

In general, I used less smoke, ProMist, and flashing for the scenes shot on F-400T to match F-125T better.

• Premium Member
The same level of ENR though?

Any silver retention process done to a print has to be the same level for the entire reel. In this case, the whole movie used a full skip bleach process for the prints.

For "Twin Falls Idaho", I used a 50 IR level of ACE (same as ENR, just at Deluxe instead of Technicolor) for everything but the last reel, which was normal. A full skip bleach would be the equivalent of a 270 IR level of ENR, something like that.