Should I keep saving for the Ag-dvx100a or get GL2

THEJUSTININC

I went to film school and learned editing and am now ready to purchase a camera for making short films and skits, I am saving up and i have about 1500 right now, on ebay I saw new Gl2's for like 2100 and I also saw the muched talked about panasonic ag dvx100a used for about 2700. Is the panasonic that much better quality? is it better to buy a used better camera or a new okay camera? any opinions are encouraged ..

THANKS

If you went to film school and desire a film look to your projects then, of the two cameras, the DVX is the ticket.

I have a GL2 and it has like psuedo progressive scan called film mode.. Personally I cant tell the difference and it looks great to me.. BUT if I had a choice Id go with the Panny.. Most definately. Because it has proper progressive scan and better at making video look like film.. :)

I am a film student as well and I was in the same situation. I would say the DVX100A is worth it for the built-in XLR inputs alone, though the progressive scan and cine-like gamma curves are very nice. I have a GL2 and wish I would have saved up a little more for the DVX100A. Now I just shoot film though :D

Buying prosumer and professional cameras is generally pretty safe because people generally tend to take better care of this more expensive stuff, and being more expensive, it's less likely that something will break "on it's own."

Edited by Toby

• 1 month later...