FX-1 / Mini35 / 35mm lens

warner brown

I'm planning on purchasing a sony FX-1. I intend to get the mini35 adapter later, but since film lens seem to be so expensive, would anyone know where you could find used/affordable film lens? or are there any cheaper alternatives that could yield similar results?

This is probably an ignorant question but why not just use a 35mm still camera lens? I assume (1. it wouldn't be compatible with the adapter and (2. still lens don't work the same way as film lens w/ motion, etc. anyway, was just a thought

-warner brown

Why not? You just need the right kind of mount. 35mm still lenses are a little softer but compared to the price of cinema lenses it `s a good alternative. I have an Fx1 and use nikons with a nikon lens mount on the adapter and have got some really sharp images. you might have to do some experimentation to set the flange focus properly but once fully tweaked the results are impressive.

Coady Marshall

Why not? You just need the right kind of mount. 35mm still lenses are a little softer but compared to the price of cinema lenses it `s a good alternative. I have an Fx1 and use nikons with a nikon lens mount on the adapter and have got some really sharp images. you might have to do some experimentation to set the flange focus properly but once fully tweaked the results are impressive.

Coady Marshall

wow, thanks for the info. What kind of lens mount do you use to achieve that? if you can get the same short depth of field from 35mm still lens on an fx1, that's pretty awesome. i'd love to see some examples if you have them.

my post is above. i am shooting a short on an HDR-FX1 in April. I too am looking at primes for a PL 35mm adapter (that are cheap). have you researched digiPrimes though? i've been researching and found that the excess glass from the prime lenses with the the lense on the camera has a tendency to require an opening up of f2 and f2.8 just to get a proper reading (this is news to me though). if you have done research on digiPrimes, i'd love to hear. soon i am hoping to do a test on both formats, but if you've any knowledge or news, i'd love to hear any. right now i'm just trying to look everywhere for info., etc. hope to hear. - chris (e-mail: cyrichmond@gmail.com)