shooting with autom. B

Matthew Day

Hi, just looking for some general advice here! I'm looking to shoot a piece with my Nizo 561macro super 8 on a series of murals in my area. I'll be shooting at night so I want to frame up the murals, which are all on busy streets, lock off the camera and shoot using time lapse set to the autom. B setting so as the have the mural in focus with the traffic just streaks of light. I haven't used this camera or experimented with autom. B before. Anything I should know? Like, will I need an external light meter? I can't really afford to blow to much stock experimenting! Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Hi, just looking for some general advice here! I'm looking to shoot a piece with my Nizo 561macro super 8 on a series of murals in my area. I'll be shooting at night so I want to frame up the murals, which are all on busy streets, lock off the camera and shoot using time lapse set to the autom. B setting so as the have the mural in focus with the traffic just streaks of light. I haven't used this camera or experimented with autom. B before. Anything I should know? Like, will I need an external light meter? I can't really afford to blow to much stock experimenting! Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Hi;

Autom.B works out the correct exposure time for itself (thats the point of it's existance) I use a Nizo macro to do this kinda thing all the time and results are usually stunning! Really makes the Nizo a very special camera....

Olly

Hi;

Autom.B works out the correct exposure time for itself (thats the point of it's existance) I use a Nizo macro to do this kinda thing all the time and results are usually stunning! Really makes the Nizo a very special camera....

Olly

Do I need to lock the shutter open or leave all as is??

• Premium Member

A rundown of the various options should be explored to help you maximize your efforts.

When in Auto B mode, does the camera take into account where the f-stop is set? This is critical because usually shooting wide open is a big mistake. I'd recommend no lower than a 2.8 for most situations. Ideally an F 2.8-4.0 to 4.0-5.6 range can work really well, although there are many variables to consider.

How does the intervalometer interface with the Auto-B, I seem to recall that the Nizo intervalometer can be used to set actual time-exposure durations. So is Auto-B (no insult implied) but is auto-B "time-exposure for dummies", just set it and the camera does it all?

A rundown of the various should be explored to help you maximize your efforts.

When in Auto B mode, does the camera take into account where the f-stop is set? This is critical because usually shooting wide open is a big mistake. I'd recommend no lower than a 2.8 for most situations. Ideally an F 2.8-4.0 to 4.0-5.6 range can work really well, although there are many variables to consider.

How does the intervalometer interface with the Auto-B, I seem to recall that the Nizo intervalometer can be used to set actual time-exposure durations. So is Auto-B (no insult implied) but is auto-B "time-exposure for dummies", just set it and the camera does it all?

I was planning to leave the aperture setting on auto hoping the camera would do it all - I'd like to set it manually but not having a 561 manual I can't be sure the camera would take into account the f-stop.

Do you recommend against wide open because of the lack of depth of field? It goes down to 1,8

If you want to go with manual exposure setting, you will have to set your intervals too. The autoB uses a seperate meter next to the Nizo logo, and controls the frame intervals based on full open apeture. If you stop down manually, the intervals do not change and may underexpose. So for manual, you would have to set your own intervals on the intervolometer, and manual exposure setting. I'd stick with full auto if your a first timer... it still looks decent. else you can use the auto setting just to guage your intervals in relation to a manual setting you want to use.