sdx900 and pro35

Craig Chartier

We were using a pro35 adapter with older CZ prime set. Noticed a sizable dropoff of light when panning full frame from left to right. Meaning the subject was properly exposed when in center of frame, however when panning to either side ( last 20% of frame) the light would drop by 1.5 to 2 stops. We thought it might be the camera, changed to DSR-450, same thing. Each lens in the set did the same thing. If i understand how the pro35 works , it has two ground glass pieces osilating in different directions. Could those pieces be out of whack with each other? Has anybody else seen this problem??

We were using a pro35 adapter with older CZ prime set. Noticed a sizable dropoff of light when panning full frame from left to right. Meaning the subject was properly exposed when in center of frame, however when panning to either side ( last 20% of frame) the light would drop by 1.5 to 2 stops. We thought it might be the camera, changed to DSR-450, same thing. Each lens in the set did the same thing. If i understand how the pro35 works , it has two ground glass pieces osilating in different directions. Could those pieces be out of whack with each other? Has anybody else seen this problem??

I noticed the same problem when using older cooke lensens on a mini35 adaptor, I think it has something to do with the older lenses not covering the whole super35 area,

• Premium Member
I noticed the same problem when using older cooke lensens on a mini35 adaptor, I think it has something to do with the older lenses not covering the whole super35 area,

Hi,

If the exit pupil on the lens is too small, vignetting will occur. The lens may be fine for S35 but the vibrating ground glass is not quite the same as film. Arri Standard lenses have the problem but not SuperSpeeds. One reason SuperSpeeds have increased in value over the last 2 years.

FWIW My 18mm Zeiss Ultratron vignettes in the eyepiece but not on the film! The lens was designed especially for that camera!

Cheers,

Stephen