March 2006,AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

Congratulations Mr. Mullen for achieving ASC Close-Up. I was so proud today to open

up my AC and see that you were chosen for AC Close-Up. At last a cinematographer

that I have knowledge of. I had lunch today with a school teacher and she wants me to

help her 6th grade class shoot a dv.They have written the script and I visited the school

with her. So these kids are asking me for my autograph and they wanted to know how

many famous films that I have shot. It almost brought tears to my face,of course I had

to tell them that I wasn't famous. I swear David those kids acted like the PD-170 was a

Panaflex Millenium. I really enjoyed reading your comments in the ASC Close-up inter-

view. Before the teacher meant me for lunch,I had my AC open with your picture on the

page. When she arrived she said,who's that guy? I said,"he's the cinematographer who

shot North Fork". I suggested that she rent the film at blockbuster and view it. I also said,

"he's well known for taking time on the forum to help newbies and nobodies,solve their

filmmaking problems". David thank you so much for taking the time to help members here

on the forum. Congratulations!

Greg Gross

Student Cinematographer

Professional Photographer

• Premium Member

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing the issue myself -- hopefully tomorrow's mail. There were free copies at the Open House and I didn't even think to look at the back and notice that my profile article was in that issue.

I hope I get the issue soon. I renewed my subscription this month, so hopefully this issue still arrives in a timely fashion. Congrats David.

On a side note I also saw the poster for Akeelah and the Bee at my local cinemark. It is a great looking poster that really seemed to embody the look you were going for from your producton diary. I cant wait to see it.