Shooting 200t for nice blacks

niasripley

I am going to be shooting a short piece that requires a studio setup with a black background and one female subject that will be getting a high key from a 2k Arri fresnel. I will be shooting 200t with my Beaulieu 4008zm2. The objective is to get nice rich blacks surrounding the lit subject, but I am worried about grain and milkiness with super8. Has anybody had experience getting nice blacks in a studio situation somewhat like this? Will a soft image or grain be all I can get in this instance? I am assuming I will only be able to get t5.6 from the 2k fresnel @24fps.

Any feedback would be a great help.

Thanks,

JC

• Premium Member

...Well underexposing 7217 will milk-up your blacks so I would err on the side of overexposure by rating the film at EI 100. Then I would go for a scene to scene transfer on a Shadow or a Spirit and ask the colorist for contrast. I have gotten solid grainless looking blacks with 7217.

Infact, I might be able to rummage up some stills for your to reference since I'm at the editing computer....

Stand by,

Steve

Wow,

that's great, just what I'm looking for- excellent reference. Thanks so much. I guess you would suggest using Flying Spot for my transfer and processing? Looks to be excellent work.

-JC

• Premium Member
I am going to be shooting a short piece that requires a studio setup with a black background and one female subject that will be getting a high key from a 2k Arri fresnel. I will be shooting 200t with my Beaulieu 4008zm2. The objective is to get nice rich blacks surrounding the lit subject, but I am worried about grain and milkiness with super8. Has anybody had experience getting nice blacks in a studio situation somewhat like this? Will a soft image or grain be all I can get in this instance? I am assuming I will only be able to get t5.6 from the 2k fresnel @24fps.

Any feedback would be a great help.

Thanks,

JC

Some overexposure will always give more shadow detail and "richer" blacks, along with less graininess.

Don't overdo it, since a very dense negative may be more difficult to transfer without getting into noise issues, but the 7217 film itself has lots of overexposure latitude.

Wow, that super 8 looks amazing. That inspired me to stop shooting film until I have enough money to get a decent cam and light meter. I didn't think that super 8 could look that good, and I was instead using it as a stepping stone to 16mm, but now I might have some use for it if I start getting some experience with it. I didn't think you could even shoot film with that little light.

• Premium Member

...I just checked the link discovered I didn't size it quite right. Sorry about that. It's probably best to just download and resize it.

The transfer is definitely a big part of why this sample looks the way it does. A rank will yeild more grain and milkier looking blacks. Most of my super 8 work has been going to rank lately and doesn't look as clean as this stuff done on the Shadow. (it is also all LOMO processed black and white negative)

RE: labs etc.

I use www.fordelabs.com They are an all photochemical shop - no xfers - They do work in collaboration with www.fsft.com , which is a company that only specializes in transfering film.

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

...alright, here are some black blacks. This is 7217 shot outside at night. Transfer was made by Flying Spot Film Transfer in Seattle on a Shadow Telecine system.

a link to a 4mb .mov

hope this helps,

Steve

Hi rich blacks amazing footage. I supose that you shot this film with iris full open ( f 1.4 ?, f. 1.6? )

what camera - lens you used?

congrats

Edited by andres victorero

I've only used Flying Spot for my S8 negs, almost afraid to try another place. But the 200 & 500T in S8 are amazing for their speed and frame size... better than most would expect. I encourage people to try the 500T under tungston or existing light, the grain is not bad at all. rich blacks and shadow detail, super 8 has never seen films that perform like these.