35mm Lenses vs 16mm Lenses

John Carreon

Question here,

I don't come from a photography background so I'm a little unsure...here's my question:

Does a 16 lense, of say, 25mm have the same field of view as a 35 lense of 25mm?

My gut tells me yes...but I just wanted to double check cuz I was talking to a photographer friend of mine and he confused me...

Thanks for the help

John

Question here,

I don't come from a photography background so I'm a little unsure...here's my question:

Does a 16 lense, of say, 25mm have the same field of view as a 35 lense of 25mm?

My gut tells me yes...but I just wanted to double check cuz I was talking to a photographer friend of mine and he confused me...

Thanks for the help

John

Yes, if it's shooting 16mm. A 35mm lens would have the same angle of view as a 16mm lens of the same focal length when used on a 16mm camera.

The angle of view will increase when you use 35mm lens on it's normal format, so that the 25mm focal length lens will have the same angle of view as an 11 mm lens on regular 16mm.

• Premium Member

Depth of field stays the same, but angle of view changes when you put that same lens on a camera with a smaller negative. Essentially the lens becomes the equivalent of twice the focal length when going from 35mm to 16mm, so you'd need to switch to a lens with half the focal length to maintain the same view. Hence why lens sets for 16mm tend to start at much shorter focal lengths.