Passing Film Through an X-Ray

David Sweetman

I know you can't pass motion picture film through an x-ray, but I've got a buddy who's going to Uganda and taking his 35mm SLR with him. Can you pass still film through an x-ray? I would assume tourists do it all the time...what's up with that? Will it screw up his film?

thanks

Dave

One difference with still film is that if you get slight fogging over part of one frame, it might not be very noticeable - but the same fogging on a roll of motion picture film will show up as a flickering density that changes from frame to frame - much more objectionable.

This will happen if your roll of film is in the x-ray shadow of something else - like the next can of film, or the edge of the x-ray beam - so it doesn't get uniformly fogged.

It's also easier to carry a handful of cassettes and get them hand-inspected: the security guys often know what a 35mm cassette looks like, but they are less familiar with a carton of 400 ft rolls of 16mm motion picture stock.

One difference with still film is that if you get slight fogging over part of one frame, it might not be very noticeable - but the same fogging on a roll of motion picture film will show up as a flickering density that changes from frame to frame - much more objectionable.

This will happen if your roll of film is in the x-ray shadow of something else - like the next can of film, or the edge of the x-ray beam - so it doesn't get uniformly fogged.

It's also easier to carry a handful of cassettes and get them hand-inspected: the security guys often know what a 35mm cassette looks like, but they are less familiar with a carton of 400 ft rolls of 16mm motion picture stock.

I presume you mention this problem in ports. I thought that almost all ports are using filmsave machine to screen for security posing no threat to our film now. Can we thrust them ?