SDX or DVX?

jonnyh1968

So I got a gig to shoot and edit some car dealer 10 second tags. I own the DVX100a and a Mac with FCP but was thinking of renting the SDX900 and a Deck to digitize everything. So why would I do this? for 50MBPS instead of 10MBPS? 4:2:2 instead of 4:1:1 ??? I take it it's worth it ($700 for everything when all said and done) and the quality will be noticed?

In the end I'll probably take the DV tapes to a post facility for transfer to BetaSP.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I second that with David. I have used the SDX and DVX a lot. And yes, you will see a BIG difference between the 50mps and the 10mps. It' also important to think about what you are making. Car ads, either to sell a car or make a sale for a rental house, have a history of having good quality footage.

With the SDX you get WAY better lenses, movement of the camera, more on set options in the menu. And probably most importantly when you shoot at 50mps, you can do a lot more in post than you can with 10mps.

• Premium Member
I second that with David. I have used the SDX and DVX a lot. And yes, you will see a BIG difference between the 50mps and the 10mps. It' also important to think about what you are making. Car ads, either to sell a car or make a sale for a rental house, have a history of having good quality footage.

With the SDX you get WAY better lenses, movement of the camera, more on set options in the menu. And probably most importantly when you shoot at 50mps, you can do a lot more in post than you can with 10mps.

I believe the DVX-100A is 25Mbs but I've only shot with it once.

I don't know what budget you've been given, but if the cost is all a pass-through, I'd go with the SDX900 as well. If they are giving you a set amount, use your own gear and keep the rental money for yourself. It's not hard to top the quality of most local cable car dealer ads even with a DVX. Atleast the ones out here in DC.

And yes, if you set up both cameras as well as can be, the SDX has greater dynamic range than the DVX.

I used the SDX extensively on the documentary PURVIS OF OVERTOWN which is doing the festival circuit right now. The 4:2:2 sampling and the lenses are the main benefits. Though it's only SD I found using HD lenses gave it a bit better rendition (off projected footage). Just make sure you have the camera set to DVCPro 50, not 25.

Kind of similar comparing the Z1U to the F900.

All of that said, a DVX100 in the hands of a capable cameraman can produce very good results for something like your doing. The settings and menus may provide more challenge for you than you're used to. It doesn require a higher skill level to use.