My friend is trying to steal my camera!

Kirk Anderson

Here we go,

So, Two weeks ago I bought a K-3 and showed my friend and work associate who will remain nameless. He thought it was awesome and we planned to shoot the next week.

Three days ago I found a sweet deal on a bolex reflex for $300 and called ther lady and agreed to buy it. I then told my friend and offered that we could split it 150 each, so we would have two 16mm cameras in our Kit. I got stuck working a double shift the only time we could pick it up so I sent him and he offered to front the 300 and I would pay him later that night. So now he just called me at work and told me it is sweet and he's thinking if it's ok with me he'll just keep the camera so he has his own and we will still be a team. I said we'd talk later to figure it out.

So here's my question,

Which is better?

Is the K-3 just as good as the bolex? Their both spring wound and the K-3 has a Fat M-42 screw mount while the bolex has a smaller c-mount. I like the feel of the K-3, because i 've shot other bolex's, I was just wondering if there is any reason, aside from my pride, that i should just give him the Bolex, will i be kicking myself in the ass later?

Kirk

P.s. I also talked the lady down from $500 to $300 does that count for anything?

If he paid for it he owns it--doesn't matter who made the deal...

That's the way the law works.

To answer your other question

Yes a Bolex can be better than K3

But there are a few things you need to know about it first

A Bolex Rex4 or Rex5 are definitely better than a K3

They are precision built they allow you install a 400' mag

And have C-mount which can take huge list of lenses that the K3 doesn't have

However the K3 isn't that bad of camera when compare with the Bolex

It's a got a mirror shutter not a light stealing prism which can degrade image quality like the Bolex

It's also easier to hand-hold than the Bolex...and is easier to convert to S16.

Besides you know you've got a good working K3 in your hands

That Bolex you want to buy could be a lemon (who knows)

Remember the bird in the hand saying...

Both cameras are still primarly used by students and amatuers anyway

It's like comparing a Dodge Neon with a Ford Taurus...(no offense to Dodge or Ford).

But they're both pretty good instruments when used properly and good tools to learn the trade.

So don't feel down about your K3 it's very useful...it's just not the Ferrari of film cameras.

Eitherways

Good Luck

i guess thats the law but that is kinda shady.i wouldnt do that to a friend.i just got a k3 myself and it seems like a solid machine.ive never shot 16mm before but im a still photographer so im curious to see how the optics are with the stock lense,as far as build feels as solid as my hasselblads i like that.a rule of thumb for still photographers is the heavier the body the better the quality.those cheap bolex's never interested me much although i looked at some rex5's but we are talking a several hundred dollar difference.as far as optics though pentax makes some very good 35mm lenses that i have used on several occasions so be happy with your k3 i am.

ps: if you can try to make out with his girlfriend

If your K3 works fine and you're happy with it, I'd let him pay for the Bolex and let him keep it. Sharing equipment can be problematic, just like going into business with friends. You may work well as a team right now, but what happens when you don't both agree that a certain project is worth your time/money to shoot, or one of you wants to use the Bolex on another friend's project (maybe even loan it out)? If you really want the Bolex for yourself, tell him you want to flip a coin for the option to purchase it outright from him. Personally, I'd look at it as saving myself $150 that I could spend on film, telecine, gaf tape, or other expendables.

I really enjoyed the title of this thread which sounds like a cross between an agony aunt column and a b movie monster flick title. It made me giggle! :)

Anyway yes Bolex vs K3. It's a bit apples and oranges really. The Bolex is probably more expandable with gadgets and stuff, but it depends on what bolex model it is? It it could use the 400foot mag, that alone would be a big plus. However I wonder what lenses it comes with? Getting decent c-mount leneses can be hard because everyone wants the things. Getting lenses for the K3 can be really easy because it can take M42 screw mount lenses that are on loads of old SLR cameras, so you can put soviet zeiss copies (Jupiter 8 etc) onto your K3, or possibly even real zeiss glass! Sometimes the lenses even come with a free SLR camera! ;)M42 is a big plus. In addition to that it is easy to modify the K3 to S16. Another huge plus.

The one big problem with the K3 tends to be the build quality which can be very, very variable. However, if you have a working one, and you have shot footage with it and all is good, then you are home and dry on that score.

I wouldn't feel antagonistic towards your friend, that's 150 dollars it's saved you and you can put to buying lights or other things you need. (maybe some nice prime lenses!!!)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

HI

=Yes a Bolex can be better than K3

I not confirm of your idea.

What Bolex you mean ?

You wish compare professional cine camera Bolex and amateur cine camera Kransogorsk-3.

This is cameras from differene levels.

If you wish compare Bolex with some russian 16 mm cine camera, i propose compare with

Kinor-16 E ( 4kSR ) camera.

I think, will need compate cameras with some price.

What Bolex camera have price $170... 200 ?

=A Bolex Rex4 or Rex5 are definitely better than a K3

=They are precision built they allow you install a 400' mag

=And have C-mount which can take huge list of lenses that the K3 doesn't have

Ok. If you wish use 400 ft magazines, you can choose russian Kinor-16 SX-2M camera.

The bast sides of K-3 camera - simplicity, reliability, small size, small weight, not need battery, will work with any condition with low temperature and with high temperature.

If i will need choose camera for long time expedition, i will choose K-3, because, this camera will shot at any condition.

This is my personal opinion, base on my personal experience.