Chinese HMI's

There's not much info about these products on the web. Anyone used them? Where does one buy them?

The first concern that springs to mind is one of safety. Have these products undergone the same level of safety testing as name-brand products? At such low pricing, I'm thinking maybe not. Or is this fear unfounded?

Bon

Edited by Bon Sawyer

43 bucks? I find that really hard to believe. Hell, a tota light from lowell will run you at least 120 bucks without light. Does this 350Y include import to europe or the US? probably not, I would think customs would want at least 43 bucks just to bring it in. (is there a duty free shop for DoPs? Im gonna start one and become rich)

Does anyone know if these are even availible in the US? I would love to add a few cheap HMIs to my set, even if they dont work, for 43 bucks I will take the risk (and test the hell out of them before I put them on a set)

The real question is can anyone see any obvious cost savings availible in building an HMI light? I cant see anything that could be cut from an HMI and still have the thing work and be usefull.

• Premium Member

The manufacturer emailed me a price list, which I have attached here. In general, they seem to be about 50% less than comparable Arrisun's, but are not UL listed, and there is no US distributor. Truly not worth the effort.

They could be selling these for a lot less, but I guess they're too smart for that. It will be fun when other Chinese manufacturers start making HMI's and the prices come down to a more attractive level. B)

I would think customs would want at least 43 bucks just to bring it in.

Check out the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States. Most categories are much, much less!

LIGHTSTAR.PDF

• Premium Member

Katey bar the door.

If the Chinese manufacturers get a foothold, look for the American industry to feel some pain.

If these guys can make a $199 condenser microphone. How hard can a light fixture be.

China has the ability to flood the U.S.market with usable tools at pennies on the dollar.

Every small facility and a whole bunch of freelancers would have no choice but to purchase.

Look at companies like Behringer. Everybody badmouths them, but they still sell a lot of stuff.

d

• Premium Member

All I can say is it's about time to see some cheap HMI's. Prices have doubled in the last decade, which does not reflect rising costs. It reflects greed. Power to them, but this is a free market economy.

I believe that the $43 is the daily rental rate.

Heh... I feel dumb for not realising that to begin with. :)

Thanks for the clarification. The actual price list posted above is much more realistic.

Bon

I'd like to know about the safety issues with these units.

Ballasts have large capacitors in them and I wouldn't like to see anyone get hurt or worse.

At these very cheap prices, what are they skimping on?

With Arri we are of course paying for the name but we are also paying for ENGINEERING.

As a small rental house, I have mixed emotions about these: Love the price, since the units look capable, I am not concerned with their safety, however I don't think I would purchase them right now. I've just bought a couple of Sunrays, and they come with terrific customer service, and, yes, a big "made in America" flag on them. And, as far as HMI's go, they are realatively inexpensive.

If the Chinese units were to catch on at a terribly lower price, I, with so many others, would have no choice but to go with the more competitive option.