Funny Arri SR ebay listing

N DeWood

• Premium Member
I saw this listing for an Arri SR on ebay, and I thought it was just funny! Maybe you'll think the same. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arriflex-16sr-movie-ca...1QQcmdZViewItem

Nick,

That's a classic one. He's had that for auction for a few months now. Keeps relisting it. His feedback is atrocious. He somehow got two people to withdraw their negative feedback and the half a dozen or more neutral feedbacks he got (for misrepresenting items and overpriced, under protected shipping) for some reason they do not show up against his feedback score, so he can claim 100% positive. But read his feedback, about a third of it is complaints from buyers.

Can't see that ever selling.

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

One pretty reliable way to smoke out the phonies on ebay is to e-mail them that you live near their location, and would like to save on shipping by picking up the item in person after you win the auction. You wouldn't believe some of the priceless excuses that you'll receive.

• Premium Member
One pretty reliable way to smoke out the phonies on ebay is to e-mail them that you live near their location, and would like to save on shipping by picking up the item in person after you win the auction. You wouldn't believe some of the priceless excuses that you'll receive.

I mention that technique in my little "Tips for buying an Arriflex 16S, S/B, or St off of eBay" on the Arri16S.com website.

I don't think this guy is a scammer. I think he just buys large lots of surplus junk, and then he throws what he considers the best pieces up on eBay to try to make a killing. I bet he has little idea of what he is actually selling, and his response to buyers seems to indicate that he really couldn't care less. Certainly not someone who I would want to buy and expensive, delicate, precision instrument from.

-Tim

quote from the ebay auction:

"comes with what you see in the photo plus an extra film holding chamber like the one on the camera now and one battery. We turned the camera on and it runs."

but i thought they only run with film loaded in the "film holding chamber" .. . <_< funny.

Edited by haspel

Guest Ian Marks

Nothing makes me want to invest my money in a precision instrument more than seeing it laying on its side on a cement slab.

• Premium Member
Nothing makes me want to invest my money in a precision instrument more than seeing it laying on its side on a cement slab.

"Toss that on the floor over there and shoot a picture of it will ya? We'll throw it up on eBay and see how much we can get!"

Guest Ian Marks

I e-mailed this seller asking for specifics about the battery, and to his credit he resonded with a reasonably intelligible answer for someone not familiar with cine equipment. This morning I received a second e-mail from him:

?

There is a local live auction in our area next week and we are considering

putting this movie camera in to this auction at a reserve of $10,999.00.

It may very well sell we are told and it will be instant without any of the

ebay hassel.

If you are seriously interested in this camera please let us know asap..

Thanks,

UVA

• Premium Member
I e-mailed this seller asking for specifics about the battery, and to his credit he resonded with a reasonably intelligible answer for someone not familiar with cine equipment. This morning I received a second e-mail from him:

?

There is a local live auction in our area next week and we are considering

putting this movie camera in to this auction at a reserve of $10,999.00.

It may very well sell we are told and it will be instant without any of the

ebay hassel.

If you are seriously interested in this camera please let us know asap..

Thanks,

UVA

Okay, now that's shady. Typical "reel the sucker in" technique. Well I hope he does put it in the local live auction cause that is the only way in h**l he's gonna sell it.

-Tim

PS: If anyone else emails him, find out the serial number, if it is past #60901 at least it has a German motor and electronics, and might be rebuildable.

• Premium Member

Or. . . you could buy that Arriflex 16SR and buy the manual I am auctioning off, right below his auction, and rebuild the camera yourself. :D

SmPic.jpg

Arriflex 16SR Service Manual

Well, in actuality, you could not rebuild the whole camera with that manual. It is the only service manual ARRI ever published on the SR and was only available to factory trained repair techs, but it is really more of a Service Manual Lite. It does cover all the basics, from adjusting the viewfinder tension, setting the Flange Focal Distance, replacing the toothed drive belt, replacing the movement, etc. and has alot of great information in it about the camera. And if you ever wanted to see how the camera works, the exploded views in the manual cover every component in the camera including the on-board batteries. It is not a xerox, it is a brand new printing, I went in and cleaned up many of the photos, updated and added pictures, and reset all the type so it is crystal clear and easy on the eyes. And it is all in English. As the auction says, this manual along with Jon Fauer's "ARRI 16SR Book", are pretty much everything ARRI has ever published on the Arriflex 16SR.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Well, as suspected, the camera got no bids.

I don't know if anyone reading this forum is in the market for a Super 16 Arriflex 16SR2, but there is a recently serviced Axel Broda model on eBay right now and it is currently going for $6200, which is an absolute steal. The auction ends Sunday morning March 19th at 9:29 AM Pacific Time.

Axel Broda converted Super 16 Arriflex 16SR2

I have nothing to do with this auction, just thought I would pass it along. And for reference, if you had your own Arriflex 16SR2 and wanted to have Axel convert it, it would cost you more than $6200. So you are buying the conversion and they are throwing in an Arriflex 16SR2 for free. Amazing.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Visual Products is a good company. But their prices will give you a nose bleed! I am sure this camera will be recycled into a nice $30K package.

Visual Products bought it for $13,000.

Guest Ian Marks

Sounds like Visual Products got a solid deal. For whatever it's worth. I've received a second e-mail from the "funny" seller. Here are my comments to him and his response:

In a message dated 3/18/06 1:19:37 PM, filmwonk@hotmail.com writes:

<< Thanks for your message. It's a nice camera, but to me this is really more

of a $5,000 outfit than an $11,000 one. However, I hope you get your price.

>>

You will never find a "not stolen" camera like this with all this stuff for

$5,000.00.

This $5K is a dream price not a real price.

Just look at dealers who sell these and see prices of $10K, $12K, $14K for

the same thing.

If you are a real and ready buyer, we can lower our price for a buy it now.

Email us if interested.

If you buy a camera like this for $5K we will send you a camera for free!!!!!!

Lets make a deal.

UVA

• Premium Member

I was willing to cut the guy some slack, figuring he did not know what he was selling. But he sounds more and more like just another creep trying to pawn off junk on eBay.

Tell him you will pay his price for the camera right after he sends it to ARRI for a complete rebuild and sends the lens in for a CLA. Then his camera would be worth maybe $8000, if it is not one with French motor and electronics.

-Tim