Super-8 Sound Barneys

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Here is the link to another forum where this new product is being discussed and showcased.Super-8 Sound Barneys

My question for Mr. Pytlak is would Kodak consider buying a few dozen of these and then giving them out as filmmaking prizes to the numerous film festivals that showcase Super-8 every year?

Instead of Kodak awarding one filmmaker a $5,000 filmmaking grant, they could purchase 35 Sound Barney's and give out 33 awards for the price of one. (this doesn't mean they have to get rid of the more expensive grants, but what a great way to supplement their philanthropic awards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I believe Kodak has to do a bit more than just make film. Not that that isn't appreciated, but Super-8 would benefit from giving out prizes at film festivals for films that were shot in Super-8.

I'd love to see Kodak offer a film equipment repair grant to those who can competently fix Super-8 cameras. In the end it costs Kodak nothing to front these ventures because it ensures more film will be sold.

Kodak doesn't have to do anything it doesn't want to.

Kodak is a film company, and that's what they do, and have always done, and done it better than anyone else, I might ad.

You have to realize, the Super 8 market is just a teeny tiny sliver of business for Kodak.

We should be happy that they still make the stuff, and not demand anything more, because:

A. We're not likely to get it.

B. We would risk pissing them off by appearing to be an ungrateful, whiney segment of the market, making it less likely that they would continue to make the product.

Matt

• Premium Member

The easy solution is for Kodak to spend a very small amount of money and give out the sound barney's as film festival prizes. This would create a lot of positive energy for people who purchase Kodak super-8 film products. Another solution would be for Kodak to test the sound barney product and if it passes muster Kodak could publicize it on their website.

• Premium Member

I seriously doubt Kodak makes a profit on Super8 even before they start giving anything away. As Matt said, we should be grateful they're even still making this format. What is the link between Kodak and a sound barney? They are a film company. This is a bit 'six degrees of seperation'.

It would make more sense for a company that makes sound barneys to give them away.

Let's be honest here;

You just want a barney, don't want to pay for it. and view Kodak as this huge company with money to spare, and they should be bribing people like you to shoot Super 8.

Sorry to sound sarcastic, but let's face it. There's just no reason Kodak should buy a sound barney for you, right?

Besides, you're already shooting Super 8.

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

If I win a Film Festival and the prize is a sound barney, that does not mean I got something for free, does it? I paid to make the film, I would have to be voted ahead of several other films, and of course lets not forget the standard $40.00 entry fee, that does not sound like got something for free.

I got something for hard work, not for free.

In fact, if you add up the budgets of all the Super-8 films I would be competing against, it would be safe to say that thousands of dollars were spent on all of the Super-8 productions, and that a decent percentage of the total budget was spent on the film stock. Super-8 productions usually have a higher percentage of their total budget devoted to film stock than 16mm or 35mm because usually you have little or no paid crew.

I won 2 hundred dollars in a film festival last year. Last year I probably spent between $500-$800 in entry fees and shipping costs for the various festivals I entered. What exactly am I getting for free?

My point is the heightened interest in film festival awards translates to more film being purchased, so Kodak is not actually giving anything away for free, it just looks that way.

Kodak is a sponsor at many film festivals.  For example, here is what Kodak did at Cannes:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/campaign...d=0.1.4.9&lc=en

Here is a link to the sponsorship application:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/sponsorshi...whatwhere.jhtml

John, pity there is no mention of the "Straight 8" event in the Cannes sponsorship link. I entered for this (didn't get my film through though :( ) and I am sure it was to be held in the Kodak pavillion.

I think that the "Straight 8" guys have had an excellent idea which really promotes super8 and film generally as a medium that requires skill and judgement to get right.

I think that they had 94 entries for the Cannes event, and they are also doing it in Canada and London, amongst other festivals planned.

Matt

• Premium Member
Kodak is a sponsor at many film festivals. For example, here is what Kodak did at Cannes:

Thanks John for the Sponsorship link!

• Premium Member
Kodak is a sponsor at many film festivals.  For example, here is what Kodak did at Cannes:

John, pity there is no mention of the "Straight 8" event in the Cannes sponsorship link. I entered for this (didn't get my film through though :( ) and I am sure it was to be held in the Kodak pavillion.

I think that the "Straight 8" guys have had an excellent idea which really promotes super8 and film generally as a medium that requires skill and judgement to get right.

I think that they had 94 entries for the Cannes event, and they are also doing it in Canada and London, amongst other festivals planned.

Matt

Flicker also has these kind of film festivals. In camera editing film festivals have been around for a long time. I have a page devoted to the "In Camera Editing Film Festivals" that are quite popular in Super-8 on my website.

http://www.super-8mm.net/7.html

A reality TV show concept on the making of such films would probably be successful. Kodak could sponsor it!

I think Kodak wold be crazy to give away anything other than funds or their own products as prizes. They are promoting the use of their products within an industry and an artform. Why should they get involved in evaluating someone else's products and promoting them? And people always need more filmstock--it is a consumable item. How would you feel if you spent a chunk of change on purchasing your own sound barney and then Kodak gave you one as a prize? Terrific--now you have two barnies but no film or money to buy it with to go make another movie!

It's like asking Exxon to give you a car. They don't make cars, and if they gave out Fords, how would GM feel about it? And if you were already a customer of Exxon, wouldn't you already have a car? I'd rather have the gas!

• Premium Member

Many times, Kodak does offer film or Kodak services as prizes:

The prize includes a check for 30,000 euros, plus Kodak motion picture products valued at 23,000 euros. Kodak has also arranged an exhibition at the Golden Camera Club.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students...ram/grant.shtml

The KODAK Product Grant Program is just one example of how we're making a direct investment in film education as part of the KODAK Student Filmmaker Program. Product grants are extended annually, at Kodak's discretion, to selected motion picture film schools of numerous colleges and universities.

At Kodak we realize the importance of hands-on experience in film origination as part of the school curriculum. That's why we have an on-going commitment to work as closely as possible with the school faculty. We hope that by providing KODAK Motion Picture Film we enable the filmmakers of the future to realize their dreams.

• Premium Member
I think Kodak wold be crazy to give away anything other than funds or their own products as prizes.

By your logic Mitch, then it would be crazy that Kodak has NO ADVERTISING money allocated for Super-8 film. Every year Kodak spends money advertising 16mm and 35mm but no money is allocated for advertising Super-8.

If Kodak were spending a very small amount of money advertising Super-8 film on a yearly basis, then I could see your point. There is a huge middle America Market that bought Super-8 cameras a long time ago and have just assumed the format no longer exists. So if you think it's crazy for Kodak to make a very small investment, a very small investment, in a new super-8 product, (which would actually increase sales enough to offset the cost of the prizes they would purchase) then at least point to some advertising that Kodak does for Super-8. If you say the fact that Kodak makes Super-8 is good enough, I would disagree because the point of advertising Super-8 would not be to lose money, but to make money by reaching millions upon millions of people who grew up with Super-8 and have just assumed the format no loner exists.

• 6 months later...