V for Vendetta

Guest Christopher Wedding

Guest Christopher Wedding

DSHEEHY brought up a point in the INSIDE MAN topic that he thought some framing didn't give enough head room. Actually I didn't notice it in that movie....but I did notice it in V for Vendetta. It bothered me the entire film and left me wondering if the SuperWide aspect ratio 2.35 or more:1 means bigger 'hair cuts' in the frame.

Can anyone else comment on this? I'm wondering what the aspect ratio actually was on this. Also, maybe it was some sort of narrative theme, I noticed the Head Honcho Gov Guy had his eyes at the top of the frame practically the whole time, maybe a visual que to his greatness or power status within the film....but I'm not sure if it worked since everyone else seemed to be missing half a head. (I know I exagerate a bit, but not too much.)

Edited by Christopher Wedding

DSHEEHY brought up a point in the INSIDE MAN topic that he thought some framing didn't give enough head room. Actually I didn't notice it in that movie....but I did notice it in V for Vendetta. It bothered me the entire film and left me wondering if the SuperWide aspect ratio 2.35 or more:1 means bigger 'hair cuts' in the frame.

Can anyone else comment on this? I'm wondering what the aspect ratio actually was on this. Also, maybe it was some sort of narrative theme, I noticed the Head Honcho Gov Guy had his eyes at the top of the frame practically the whole time, maybe a visual que to his greatness or power status within the film....but I'm not sure if it worked since everyone else seemed to be missing half a head. (I know I exagerate a bit, but not too much.)

It was shot Panavision anormorpic, sounds like bad projection to me . john holland

I noticed it in V for Vendetta as well. I considered that it may be a projection problem, but I couldn't see any spill-over outside or above the screen.

It may have been a problem with projection, but it came across just looking like poor framing.

I only noticed it in some shots.

If it had been a projection issue, wouldn't the framing have looked off throughout the movie?

Guest Matti Poutanen

To me the framing of "Head Honcho Gov Guy" was completely deliberate and worked out well. He was like Big Brother (not the reality show...), not a person but something larger than life, something so big and powerful that he can't even fit to your screen! His closeups were meant to be intimidating and frightening to the people of London, to keep the masses under control, and this was something I felt also.

To me the framing of "Head Honcho Gov Guy" was completely deliberate and worked out well. He was like Big Brother (not the reality show...), not a person but something larger than life, something so big and powerful that he can't even fit to your screen! His closeups were meant to be intimidating and frightening to the people of London, to keep the masses under control, and this was something I felt also.

I thought the way teleconferences were done was the best element of the whole film.. Brilliant idea

I may be wrong but I am under the impression that if you shoot super 35 or anamorphic there is no picture above or below the frame so an improperly projected image would end up being cropped.