Assistant to the DoP

I'm wondering what the responsibilities of the "assistant to the DoP/DP" would be? There's a volunteer position that I've been told to apply for, and I would like to find out what that person would be doing.

Thanks!

Dave

There really isn't any sort of assitant DP positon. Theoretically those are the !st camera assistant, gaffer, and key grip. And perhaps the camera operator.

But I did work on The Departed last summer where the camera PA also took care of personal things for Michael Balhaus like lunch and taking care of somethings with his wife. But that certainly is not the norm. Also if they aren't loading mags, some camera PA's will also take down lighting diagrams and notes if something needs to be reshot in the future.

Best

Tim

Edited by heel_e

Well, I went for the interview ... and the position was for assisting the DoP with still shots for the lab, helping out the camera department, etc etc. Looked good, but I couldn't afford to be away from my business for 20 days (it was a volunteer position.) Plus he told me I was over-qualified!!! (felt good after that statement.)

He (Phil Parmet) asked if I wanted to come as an observer, which I want to FOR SURE. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Dave

I think assistant to DP is a viable although probably not well paying job. Probably involves taking notes for the DP, taking stills, getting laundry etc. I would think it is pretty much an observer and confidant. As opposed to the standard camera crew, loader, 2nd, First, Operator whose time is occupied with a lot of very important and specific work.