IIC ( magnetic HMI & single PL mount )

Hamid Khozouie

I want to work with IIC and magnetic HMI , but 165 shutter angle can not help me .

Can we buy , change it and instal 180 shutter angle ?

In Iran HZ is 50 , I must shooting in 180 shutter angle & 25 FPS or 172.8 & 24 FPS.

Another problem is changing to PL mount " where can I buy it , can we change 3lens mount to single PL mount

This instalation is only for experts ? .....& how much is it ?

Which company produced it ?

Thank you for consideration....

Conversions are expensive and take time and forex. I imagine this is for a night shoot (considering the daylight in Iran...)

My advice would be -

Use Tungsten light - you can rent more Footcadles of light from tungsten than you can from HMI per £. You can rent 20k of tungsten light for the same cost as 2.5k of HMI light - and the actors will be more impressed with all the lighting units :-)

With Tungsten light you don't have to put an 85 filter on the camera which means you need even more light from an HMI in footcadles to achieve the same DOF effect on tungsten

Use tungsten film and get a sharper image cause you are going through less glass (85 filters etc)

If power consumption is an issue shoot 500T and push it 1.5 stops - means you need less light

HMI Magnetic ballasts are noisy, HMI lights are much more fragile than tungsten units

If I was wrong and this is for daylight bounce then just use a mirror | s

hope that helps

thanks

Rolfe

As Rolfe said finding someone to put a 180 shutter in a 2c maybe hard and expensive even if you manage to find a 180 butterfly shutter.

What is important when using magnetic ballasts is that you have a crystal sync motor for the 2c and the power supply for the HMI's is from the mains or a crystal controled generator.

At 25fps 50hz, if the power supply is stable, shutter angle can vary from 90 to 200 degrees with litle risk.

I suggest you test with the camera and the HMI's at 25fps and 24fps and see if you have any flicker problems.

The common shutter angles for the 2c are 172.8, 165, 165 variable. There are some 2c's with after market 180 shutters fitted.

What type of motor does your camera have? If it is not crystal sync you run a risk of having uneven exposures and I would agree with Rolfe that using Tungstan lights would be preferable.

A number of places offer PL mounts on a 2c -

PS technic in Germany -www.pstechnik.de/

Les Bosher in the UK -www.lesbosher.co.uk/

Visual Products in USA - www.visualproducts.com/

Steve Morton in Australia - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smort1/cinecamods/mods

Nick

At 25fps 50hz, if the power supply is stable, shutter angle can vary from 90 to 200 degrees with litle risk.

I suggest you test with the camera and the HMI's at 25fps and 24fps and see if you have any flicker problems.

Dear Nick

Thank you for your good guidances

I took a test with crystal sync motor ( 25 FPS , 50 HZ ) in 165 shutter angle ,

but I saw a very little flicker in it .

• 3 weeks later...
As Rolfe said finding someone to put a 180 shutter in a 2c maybe hard and expensive even if you manage to find a 180 butterfly shutter.
The common shutter angles for the 2c are 172.8, 165, 165 variable. There are some 2c's with after market 180 shutters fitted.

How can I change the 165 degrees shutter angles to 180 or 172.8 ......?

There are any 180 or 172.8 shutter angles for buying... ?

In visual products website , all IICs are 180 shutter angles ...how they change IIC s ?

Thanks