how to get high contrast and intense colors

juanobg

hi everyone'' B) i will shoot a short film in s16. The next week im going to make some film test's to achieve the look that i want. i was thinking in over expose 1 stop ant then under develope it 1 stop , and vice versa. Also using a coral filter or an ultra contrast filter. The look that i want on my film is very contrasted , with high lights and also deep dark's. the colors of the locations are sky blue , dark pink and green (the army green) . please tell me any suggestion about filters,develope ,or film stock. THANK'S------------

P.D excuse me for my bad english. :blink:

• Premium Member

Some overexposure will help increase color saturation on a color negative film. No more than the +1 stop you suggest. Pull-processing will DECREASE contrast and color saturation, so stay with a normal process. Obviously do not use any contrast reducing (diffusion or fog) filter. Use minimal fill to achieve contrasty lighting. Use a polarizing filter to enhance the blue sky.

Pushing the negative will give more contrast and grain, as well as a richer image and higher color saturation, as long as you don't underexpose it as well - in other words, shoot it at the speed you normaly would and give it a push process. Highlights might start to block up, though. +1 should be noticeable, and I find that +2 starts to obtain a slight cross-processed look.