Crew Release Forms?

• Premium Member

We are in the final stages of pre-production on a 16mm project, and for the first time for us, we are actually hiring a crew. We have used Actor release forms on all of our previous productions, and always used family and friends as our crew. This project is a lot bigger, so we are hiring a DP and hiring a Sound Engineer and since they are contributing creatively to the project, (for which they are being paid) do I need them to sign a release as well?

If so, is there a source for samples of crew release forms?

Thanks for any and all info.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Well most bellow the line crew people sign what is called a "deal memo". It more or less lays out their day/ hourly rate, with how long they are guaranteed employment (if any).

It also lays out that the employee is an independent contractor with not rights to the final product, etc, etc unless otherwise discussed.

It is usually two to three pages long.

Kevin Zanit

I don't know about the rest of the world but in Mexico Cinematography is considered an intelectual property and you do need a signed release specifiying the intended applications for the project.

In comercials and smaller projects this is never an issue but on features a DOP can claim righs to intelectual protection of his-her work.

There's a good book I've read on the subject.

"Media law for producers"

Also, keep in mind that intelectual property protection laws and practices are different from country to country.

I think there's an international convention signed by a huge ammount of countries, however, to my knowledge, the US is not a subscriber of this convention, therefore, special precautions have to be taken.