16mm to video transfer -- which is best format???

JD Marlow

I'm an editor working on a 16mm short film that is in the can. The director and DP are making a transfer this week but want to know what the best format for transfer would be. I suggested Digibeta under the assumption that going digital (opposed to Beta SP) would create a lossless format for capture / re-capture / export, etc.

What is the best format to transfer to from 16mm color film stock? AND will transferring to Mini-DV or DVCAM result in loss of quality for import or export???

Thanks.

I'm an editor working on a 16mm short film that is in the can. The director and DP are making a transfer this week but want to know what the best format for transfer would be. I suggested Digibeta under the assumption that going digital (opposed to Beta SP) would create a lossless format for capture / re-capture / export, etc.

What is the best format to transfer to from 16mm color film stock? AND will transferring to Mini-DV or DVCAM result in loss of quality for import or export???

Thanks.

no loss in quality from any DV format going over firewire. Are you going to edit it in SD or HD? HD does a great job of capturing more of the info on the negative. If you are really flush, go with a 2k scan. DVCAM tapes are great for an offline. that is what I am doing right now. with our finished cutl list we are going to rescan as uncompressed HD, 10 bit 4:4:4 color straight to hard drive. Then seek funding for a film print. How is your film going to be finished? On film or video? If video, go HD for the quality.

chris

It may be best to transfer to a cheaper format such as DVCAM or Betacam SP for an offline edit. Then once your edit is locked, export and EDL and go back for selects and retransfer to Digital Betacam (Anamorphic if 1.66 or 1.78). If you have a high shooting ratio, this may be more economic and allow you to spend more time tweaking the shots that are in the final edit. Again, it all depends on your budget and how much you would like to tweak the images in the final transfer.