Basic Lighting Kit?

• 2 months later...
Can someone recommend a good basic lighting kit? We have lights, but nothing very high quality. We have some flourescents, and plenty of incandescents, but I'd like to upgrade to a professional kit.

Thanks

I am actually looking for the same advice. I got about $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 to invest in some decent lights.

I'd recommend you get a few Lowell Tota-Lites with stands. I bought a couple of 'em 20 years ago, a couple more 10 years ago, and still use them regularly. They're small, tough, and give out plenty of light. With reflector umbrellas or Chimera boxes they serve as effective soft lights (I saw a Jimmy Carter video interview with this lighting setup a couple weeks back). You can clip 1/2 blue gels on the frames and get usable daylight balance, or run them without gels for tungsten. They have almost no beam control; you'll need to employ flags on C-stands to use them effectively.

Also consider a couple of fresnels or PAR lamps for tighter lighting control. You can often find cheap ones at stage supply houses.

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Premium Member

Eventually you'll want some good tungsten fresnels, probably a 650w, 1K, and 2K. Maybe an Arri kit if you wanted to get new equipment, otherwise, some used Moles probably.

575w and 1200w HMI PAR's would be very useful.

My most useful kit is my Arri soft light. 1 Open faced 1k, 2 fresnel 650's, 1 fresnel 350. I also get use out of a solid grip package, 3 C-Stands, flags and nets, sand bags etc.

Eventually you'll want some good tungsten fresnels, probably a 650w, 1K, and 2K. Maybe an Arri kit if you wanted to get new equipment, otherwise, some used Moles probably.

575w and 1200w HMI PAR's would be very useful.

These following Lowel kits looked good??? - Lowel DV Creator 1 Kit; TO GO 98 Kit; Elemental Kit

Can someone recommend a good basic lighting kit? We have lights, but nothing very high quality. We have some flourescents, and plenty of incandescents, but I'd like to upgrade to a professional kit.

Thanks

The equipment you need is driven by what you're doing. Any basic "headshot" (for an interview, for instance) can be lit with a 650K (with Chimera), a 150 or 300 on a C-stand (don't forget the sandbag!) for a backlight, plus at least one more unit to light the background element(s). You can get away with 2 650s and 2 300s for simple situations. The smaller the room though, the more flagging you'll have to do to control the light, which means a small flag kit, extra C-stands, extra sand, plus a few stingers (extension cords), cube taps, and a dimmer or two.

Again, depending upon the situation, most of the time you'll be able to light close-ups of your talent with just a couple of fairly modest units. The wider the shot becomes though, the more units and/or firepower you'll need, if nothing else than to just get a base level of illumination up to exposure level. Then of course you're dealing with power issues. Relatively recently, I had to light an 8 person "panel" discussion for four cameras with one on a dolly. I managed to get away with a bank of key lights using 2 1K Moles and 2 650k Arris all with Chimeras. For backlight, I hung 4 Arri 300k's off a backdrop stand. The "moody" background elements were lit with an assortment of 650s and 300s. I was shooting WFO but it was acceptable and more importantly, it looked good. The client was happy.

So the basic kit doesn't have to be huge, but be prepared to subrent extras when necessary. Nothing beats scouting and figuring it all beforehand.

Good luck!

Brian Dzyak

Videographer/Writer

IATSE Local 600

Encino, CA

www.whatireallywanttodo.com

• 3 weeks later...

4x2 and 4x4 Kinos are really great location lights. I wish I owned some.

After at least one HMI I would definitely buy a Diva light or something similar. You can switch between tungsten and daylight, so they are multipurpose. And they are very light and hang from ceilings or just work as great fill.

Also having single Kino tubes to tape and tuck away in the set are very helpful for quick fixes. Man I really use that technique too much... :(