Ramping an Arri SR2 from 24 to 60 fps

Shaun Kendall

I'm going to be using an Arri SR2 for a music video shoot and just wanted to know if I needed any special equipment in order to ramp the camera from 24 to 60 fps. I've used an Arri Studio and Lite as well as an SR3, but this will be the first time I've worked with the SR2. I'm not sure if I have to use a manual speed control box or if there's a programmable one available like the one used for the Studio. As far as I know there's no way for a speed control box to compensate the shutter angle on the SR2 (I believe it's fixed at 180, but I'm not positive on that), so are there smart lenses available for the SR2 that would automatically compensate the aperture, or do you have to do it manually?

Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member
I'm going to be using an Arri SR2 for a music video shoot and just wanted to know if I needed any special equipment in order to ramp the camera from 24 to 60 fps. I've used an Arri Studio and Lite as well as an SR3, but this will be the first time I've worked with the SR2. I'm not sure if I have to use a manual speed control box or if there's a programmable one available like the one used for the Studio. As far as I know there's no way for a speed control box to compensate the shutter angle on the SR2 (I believe it's fixed at 180, but I'm not positive on that), so are there smart lenses available for the SR2 that would automatically compensate the aperture, or do you have to do it manually?

Thanks for your help.

As far as I know, you have to do it manually.

• Premium Member
... the shutter angle on the SR2 (I believe it's fixed at 180, but I'm not positive on that)

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but if memory serves, the ARRI Factory SR2's that were Super 16 had a 172.8 degree shutter. You may want to check on that before assuming the camera you will be using has a 180 degree shutter.

-Tim

Thanks for your help.

Ive shot alot with an SR2 and yes there is an attatchment which will automatically turn the aperture on your lens and ramp the camera at the same time. Its designed for an SR3 but Ive used it twice now and it works with very little perceptable shift in exposure ( Although admittedly it wasn't %100 but easily gradeable I found and only to my eye I expect). I dont know the make I used but if you wish I can find out.

Yes the mirror is fixed but in my experience its fixed at 180 degrees though I was shooting for PAL tv so this was what I was after, no electronic shutter unfortunately.

There are also some great attatchments from the 35mm range that will work well in a SR2 like timelapse and digital tachometers, Ive done some great timelapse with an SR2.

Actually from memory we may have had some problems attatching the shifting unit to do with having to shoot at 24fps but I cant really remember it was last winter since that shoot and the asst set it up. Worked out well though. Even used it on steadicam for extra effect.

Hope this helps,

Sasha

Ive shot alot with an SR2 and yes there is an attatchment which will automatically turn the aperture on your lens and ramp the camera at the same time. Its designed for an SR3 but Ive used it twice now and it works with very little perceptable shift in exposure ( Although admittedly it wasn't %100 but easily gradeable I found and only to my eye I expect). I dont know the make I used but if you wish I can find out.

Yes the mirror is fixed but in my experience its fixed at 180 degrees though I was shooting for PAL tv so this was what I was after, no electronic shutter unfortunately.

There are also some great attatchments from the 35mm range that will work well in a SR2 like timelapse and digital tachometers, Ive done some great timelapse with an SR2.

Actually from memory we may have had some problems attatching the shifting unit to do with having to shoot at 24fps but I cant really remember it was last winter since that shoot and the asst set it up. Worked out well though. Even used it on steadicam for extra effect.

Hope this helps,

Sasha

If you wouldn't mind finding out what the attachment you used was, it would be very helpful. It would be a lot easier if we didn't have to ramp, pull focus, and adjust the aperature all at the same time, manually. Also, are there specific lenses that you must use with the attachment (i.e. smart lenses) or will any lenses work?

Thanks

I shot a project a few years ago that finished to video (no film prints needed) on an SR2. I decided the best way to do the speed ramps given the circumstances was to shoot the entire shot overcranked-- (I think I ran it at 60fps) and then did the ramps in post. It was easy--used more film, but gave me total control over the ramps in post. I did not have to worry about exposure changes... or more important did not have to worry about the exact moment to begin and end the ramp relative to camera movement and action on the set.

If you wouldn't mind finding out what the attachment you used was, it would be very helpful. It would be a lot easier if we didn't have to ramp, pull focus, and adjust the aperature all at the same time, manually. Also, are there specific lenses that you must use with the attachment (i.e. smart lenses) or will any lenses work?

Thanks

I'll have a look next time Im at the rental house, which is later this week. I think the unit was made by preston but I could be seriously wrong. I will find out. We used MK2 superspeeds and since its a fairly simple piece of gear I think it will probably work with most lenses although Ive had some trouble before with wider lenses on an SR2 having their focus rings too close to the body of the camera, sometimes the lens tightening handle thing obstructs pull focus gears. Ill will find out.

Sasha