is this bolex reflex or not?

Albert Smith

Link: http://www.super8camera-shop.com/shop/inde...6mm_cameras.htm

I was sure this model was reflex after looking at various pictures and comparing, but why does it still have that viewfinder? someone also told me this as an explanation but im not sure if its correct:

"hey man, I hate to say it but I doubt that is a reflex. People often think that they are have a reflex because you can look through the upper viewfinder and see stuff. As you probably know you can move the lens turret moving the lens to the upper position and you can use the upper viewfinder to "preview" your shot before turning the turret and lens back to shoot. You then use the other viewfinder mounted on the side of the camera that is adjusted to match the lens of the one you are shooting with. There isn't any other reason to have the other viewfinder unless they screwed up and tossed one in the box at some point."

so is that a possibility? also I wasnt able to locate the serial anywhere, atleast the 151 part of it, if anyone know anything about that serial let me know please.

any information anyone can give would be extermly useful

thank you!

-Jake

reflex bolex'es arent useless, they can be put to good use in animation set up's - they are helpful as they do not loose any light through a split prism, so you can more control over DOF ...

however - I'm not %100 but I think thats a reflex.. you can see the upper viewfinder has the characteristic curve on its end where there is a series of periscope style prisms that weave thier way to the main prism inbetween the turret and shutter.. also you can see '....LEX' partially obscured just past the same curve I am refering to.

they are very little pokey 10x (or is it even 8x) reflex finders tho, which when you are stopped down are not the classiest set-ups for seeing what is getting to film - the side view finder however is much brighter and larger, it can also be removed and used as a directors viewfinder, you will get the paralax issue naturally and no DOF preview...

Oh damn, I didnt ever realize they made cameras that didnt do that. How hard is it to put a mirror on the shutter?

when was the last time you put a mirror on a shutter ?

Edited by Nick Mulder

• Premium Member
Link: http://www.super8camera-shop.com/shop/inde...6mm_cameras.htm

I was sure this model was reflex after looking at various pictures and comparing, but why does it still have that viewfinder? someone also told me this as an explanation but im not sure if its correct:

so is that a possibility? also I wasnt able to locate the serial anywhere, atleast the 151 part of it, if anyone know anything about that serial let me know please.

any information anyone can give would be extermly useful

thank you!

-Jake

Yes - this is a reflex camera. Ths small chrome lever on the right-hand side of the viewfinder is for shutting off the light path in case you you want to operate it without the finder (otherwise you could fog the film - particularly in bright conditions etc)

They're very well made clock-work cameras with variable frame rates and take 100' daylight spools. If you keep them clean and use well looked after lenses they're a great tool. The front is a revolving turret so you can mount a wide angle, standard (25mm) and telephoto lenses. So you can easily choose the lens you want to use...

There are motor attachments available that mean you can shoot longer takes (as in wind up mode you can get about a minute at a time (this varies). Be aware in clockwork mode that as the spring unwinds your frame rate will vary a bit, but not much.

... good cameras and cheap to buy... Hope this helps,

Rupe Whiteman

Edited by rupe w

There are motor attachments available that mean you can shoot longer takes (as in wind up mode you can get about a minute at a time (this varies). Be aware in clockwork mode that as the spring unwinds your frame rate will vary a bit, but not much.

... good cameras and cheap to buy... Hope this helps,

Rupe Whiteman

I'm currently addicted to them (having just weaned myself of Mamiya MF and Large format still gear) ...

I have an RX4 wind-up - it will give around a 30 sec take at ~25fps ... recently I scoped the 1:1 shaft and set up the cam on exactly 25fps with the spring fully wound, it slowly reduced to just above 24fps in the first 20 seconds then gets lower at a faster rate to equal ~23fps by the time the spring is wound to its stop (which is not fully unwound)

Thanks everyone! I didnt notice the "lex" that is partitally covered up, thats kinda a dead give away. and the swithc on the viewfinder. I cant wait to get it and start shooting 16!

cool, go for gold :lol: I also just noticed I left out the 'non-' part of non-reflex in my post above

it should read:

"non-reflex bolex'es arent useless, they can be put to good use in animation set up's - they are helpful as they do not loose any light through a split prism, so you can more control over DOF ..."