Canon 1014 XLS or a Beaulieu?

Brian Rose

Two very different cameras and philosophies at play. The home movie maker and delusional person who doesn't know any better versus the serious filmmaker who wants complete control over their filmmaking and recognizes that manual everything and professional design is how real filmmaking is done. The former is the choice for home movie makers and amateurs, the latter is the choice for artists and commercial filmmakers.

A very limited world view. Beaulieus are not exclusively used by professional film makers or artists, and Canons are not exclusively used for making home movies. Nor are people who use Canons deluded about who they are. Such bigoted and I'm sorry but, very dumb remarks tend to betray a weak and insecure mind.

Anyway,

You are already working with a limited format. Stunning footage shot on so called 'home movie' cameras has been broadcast on national television and blown up to 35mm in Movies.

The Super 8 format has lots of Depth of Filed but works best staying away from wider shots as detail can be lost. The lenses on high end 'domestic' cameras were designed exclusively for the format. Many years of accumulated experience, knowledge and research went into the design of the Canon 1014xl-s - it was one of the last cameras to come on the market.

The Canon 1014xl-s produces nothing short of absolutely stunning and beautiful footage. It IS used by serious film makers and artists.

I agree that the Beaulieus are fantastic cameras. I've used them and I've used the Canon

The Canon is a very reliable camera. I'd rather sacrifice so called total control for reliability.

It is my camera of choice.

I am no amateur or home movie maker. Nor am I an bigoted elitist.

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hi, filmed a wedding couple of weeks back, due to grim f1.4-2.8 lighting/typical uk weather had no choice but to opt for the 7008. This was the first time i used a beaulieu at a wedding, images sharpness was excellent, did not acheive as much footage in the can as i would have liked. Canon imo is king of the run and gun cameras, with the best auto iris. If the weather had been better then the canon 814xls would of been used. My 814 goes completely out of focus when used wide open. Canon imo is also easier to hand hold compared to the beaulieu.

If you could have the back focus adusted on the Canon you may be presently surprised.

• Premium Member
Who would you go to for that? Please enlighten me)

I don't know how feasible it is to do this. The repair technician who adjusted my Eumig camera told me he had adjusted the back focus on it. The Eumig camera has a fixed zoom lens, so if that camera can have the back focus adjusted, maybe the Canon can have it's back focus adjusted as well.