Film Camera

• Premium Member
Need Help Here:

What 35mm film camera (specific model) is advisable to use for handheld shots?

Hi,

Depends on budget. Arricam lite is trendy, Stanley K was very happy with a BL! Are you shooting a few shots or all day? Sync sound or MOS.

Stephen

yeah its really a matter of taste more than anything, the aaton is noisy in 4-perf and the moviecam sl is nice (slightly noisy but i never had a real problem with it), and yeah if you've got the cash and it's sync the arricam lt is fine, but at the end of the day its whatever's most comfortable. i personally prefer a heavier camera for handheld stuff - sometimes with a 1000' magazine as it's more balanced and throws less of the weight on your arms. and yeah a gII or BL is heavier, but as long as you aren't doing 10-minute takes you'll be fine.

otherwise, if you're doing mos, any camera with the exception of say a panastar is just fine - arri 2c's are great for grabbing shots and running around, as is the new arri 235.

Need Help Here:

What 35mm film camera (specific model) is advisable to use for handheld shots?

Hi.

If you will need handheld camera with minimum price, this is russian Konvas-2M.

Konvas-2M can have crytsal sync motor, you can modify on Arri PL and use any Carl Zeiss lenses.

But, russian LOMO lenses have high quality too.

Konvas have 200 ft and 400 ft film magazines.

Konvas-2M with 200 ft magazine ( without film ) have weight near 5.8 kg, size near 295 x 280 x 245 mm.

• Premium Member

It depends on budget and the percentage of your movie that will be handheld / Steadicam and whether it is worth the extra money for something like a Arricam LT or Panaflex Millenium XL -- versus just occasionally hefting a normal 35mm movie camera on your shoulder, which I've had to do many times with regular Arri-BL's and Panaflex GII's, etc.

• Premium Member

I am not an expert concerning these cameras.

Arri 235?

I've read a lot about it. Actually used in the film "The Island". It was used with

bicylce type handle bars at times.

Greg Gross

I am not an expert concerning these cameras.

Arri 235?

I've read a lot about it. Actually used in the film "The Island". It was used with

bicylce type handle bars at times.

Greg Gross

Arri 235 very good camera. Modern, small size, small weight, compact.

But, the price of body 38000 Euros ( if i correct ).

If you have good budget, Arri 235 good choose.

Frankly speaking, I love Arri Cam Studio more.