Air shipping batteries

Alain LeTourneau

Anyone know if there are restrictions for air travel with Lead Acid, NiCD, or NiMH batteries?

I'm flying with gear and I'm wondering if I need to pack my batteries with my carry-on or

with check-in cases which go underneath in cargo storage?

Alain

• Premium Member

Wet batteries will not fly. The TSA does not like batteries. I have noticed when I arrive 3 hours early to get my equipment sorted out properly, the TSA folks will ship my equipment on a different flight if they have an option.

Usually ship sealed non liquid batteries Nic Cad/Lithum and NiMh types in checked luggage-in a unlocked case. I carry on the camera and always have one battery in case I need to power the camera.

This is one reason I went to Dewalt batteries, so if they don't arrive I can quicky and cheaply get spares at HDepot.

Wet batteries will not fly. The TSA does not like batteries. I have noticed when I arrive 3 hours early to get my equipment sorted out properly, the TSA folks will ship my equipment on a different flight if they have an option.

Usually ship sealed non liquid batteries Nic Cad/Lithum and NiMh types in checked luggage-in a unlocked case. I carry on the camera and always have one battery in case I need to power the camera.

This is one reason I went to Dewalt batteries, so if they don't arrive I can quicky and cheaply get spares at HDepot.

So your saying TSA will "not allow" one to carry-on or check-in SEALED LEAD ACID batteries?

That's what I have. I do have the option of using an NP1 NiMH set-up but I only have one adapter and it has a cable connection. I have no back-up.

Alain

• Premium Member
So your saying TSA will "not allow" one to carry-on or check-in SEALED LEAD ACID batteries?

That's what I have. I do have the option of using an NP1 NiMH set-up but I only have one adapter and it has a cable connection. I have no back-up.

Alain

Here is a link to the current "official" TSA list of prohibited items:

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/P...hibited_NEW.pdf

It specifically bans "spillable batteries" (except those in wheelchairs) from both checked and carry-on baggage. It does allow "camcorders" and "camera equipment", evidently as long as they do not have "spillable batteries".

Always a good idea to carry pertinent pages of the latest TSA guidelines, in case you need to negotiate/convince security personnel:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editori...torial_1012.xml

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198004a860

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198006b11c

One issue with shipping sealed lead-acid batteries is how well they are "sealed". At the reduced air pressure at high altitudes, even a sealed battery could leak acid. The other issue with high capacity batteries is the potential for heat and fire if the terminals accidently get shorted. I know some larger Lithium batteries have had issues:

http://www.ultralifebatteries.com/document...Regulations.pdf

Thanks John.

I have one Eco-Charge (sealed lead acid) for my DAT recorder, and 2x Bescor (sealed lead acid) 12V 7Ah batteries for my camera that I'm traveling with. I have papers which indicate the batteries are TSA approved, but I really do not want to deal with a hassel or delay in my travel. I'm thinking of shipping the batteries ahead via Ground shipping.

I may take one NiMH NP1 battery with me as a carry-on just in case there's a delay in my batteries arriving.

Alain

• Premium Member
"The can do what ever they like and they will"

Depending on how busy and what mood they are in.

This is not particular to batteries, but does deal with bringing camera equipment on planes. Just flew back to Portland from LAX with my camera gear. Everything gets checked in Pelican cases. Can't find large enough TSA locks for one of the Pelicans so I have to use Master non-TSA locks. Here in Portland, I just talk to the TSA folks and I lock the case and then have to wait for them to X-Ray it so if there are any problems or concerns, I can unlock the case and they can physically inspect it.

Well, flying back home from LA through LAX, they would not let me do that. They gave me a choice, either leave the case unlocked (with thousands of dollars of motion picture camera equipment inside, not bloody likely) or leave it locked and if the TSA had any problems or wanted to see what is inside, they would just put it with the baggage to be destroyed, and I would not be able to get my equipment back. Well I was very clear that neither of those options would work and they basically told me "Tough Luck", but they did not use the word luck.

So I raised a stink and finally after about twenty minutes we reached a compromise where I had to wait for a TSA employee to come to the counter, and I gave him the case and both locks open, and he promised to lock the case after it was X-Rayed and said he would come back up to the counter and let me know when it was on its way. So I waited another twenty minutes or so and he came back and let me know it was fine. So all told, checking the gear, which took about three minutes on the way out of Portland, took almost an hour on the way out of LAX. Good thing I arrive early. I will definitely continue my search for TSA locks that are big enough for that case.

-Tim

This is not particular to batteries, but does deal with bringing camera equipment on planes. Just flew back to Portland from LAX with my camera gear. Everything gets checked in Pelican cases. Can't find large enough TSA locks for one of the Pelicans so I have to use Master non-TSA locks. Here in Portland, I just talk to the TSA folks and I lock the case and then have to wait for them to X-Ray it so if there are any problems or concerns, I can unlock the case and they can physically inspect it.

Well, flying back home from LA through LAX, they would not let me do that. They gave me a choice, either leave the case unlocked (with thousands of dollars of motion picture camera equipment inside, not bloody likely) or leave it locked and if the TSA had any problems or wanted to see what is inside, they would just put it with the baggage to be destroyed, and I would not be able to get my equipment back. Well I was very clear that neither of those options would work and they basically told me "Tough Luck", but they did not use the word luck.

So I raised a stink and finally after about twenty minutes we reached a compromise where I had to wait for a TSA employee to come to the counter, and I gave him the case and both locks open, and he promised to lock the case after it was X-Rayed and said he would come back up to the counter and let me know when it was on its way. So I waited another twenty minutes or so and he came back and let me know it was fine. So all told, checking the gear, which took about three minutes on the way out of Portland, took almost an hour on the way out of LAX. Good thing I arrive early. I will definitely continue my search for TSA locks that are big enough for that case.

-Tim

Tim,

What you describe is what I want to try to avoid.

I will be flying from Portland to Boise, so I think everything should be ok, but I will ship the batteries

ahead of me.

Alain

So, are you talking NP1 style NiMH and NiCD as check-in, and also one as carry-on???

I'm looking to take several NiMH batteries as carry-on if I can get by without any hassle. The rest of

the batteries I'll check in.

Alain

• Premium Member
So, are you talking NP1 style NiMH and NiCD as check-in, and also one as carry-on???

I'm looking to take several NiMH batteries as carry-on if I can get by without any hassle. The rest of

the batteries I'll check in.

Alain

I carry one battery to run the camera if asked. Sometimes the TSA wants to see a camera operate. conversely if they question the battery I power the camera to make it clear it is a battery.

Sometimes when they do an inspection I will turn on the camera and hand it to them without plugging in the battery. If they can see thru it they assume it's running.

It all depends on my evaluation of how slick the TSA folks I am dealing with are and how much time I have before departure.