Any ideas of how much 90 min. worth of stock would cost after all is said and done?

Adam Paul

Any ideas what 90 min. worth of 35mm film would cost including processing and all it's needed for a print for projection? Thinking about doing a cheap HDV to 35mm transfer using a huge LCD/Plasma screen. Probably use a Konvas for the job. Maybe one of the older ARRIs with PL mount.

Edited by Adampaul

Why don't you check out using a Cinevator.

You don't need a DI or sound neg, it's ideal for single prints and the print quality is good.

Nordisk film post production have one in Oslo. http://www.filmteknikk.no/

By the time you buy 35mm neg stock and get a print made plus a sound neg, there mightn't be a much of a cost difference.

• Premium Member

Prices vary a lot per foot. For a really rough ballpark figure, let's say .50/foot X 9,000' = $4,500, plus .20/foot for processing, so that's $1,800, so $6,300. But that's not particularly accurate, and you can get recan stock cheaper and probably find processing for less than .20/foot.

Any ideas of Cinevator rates? That site is all in foreign language and has no prices. I did a little quick research and some people are saying the final results are soft. How does it compare to Arri laser? I know Arri laser is very expensive, but it's the best and a good reference.

• Premium Member
Any ideas what 90 min. worth of 35mm film would cost including processing and all it's needed for a print for projection? Thinking about doing a cheap HDV to 35mm transfer using a huge LCD/Plasma screen. Probably use a Konvas for the job. Maybe one of the older ARRIs with PL mount.

I'd suggest getting a professional lab film-out using a laser or CRT recorder, rather than try to do it yourself. You will get an image, but the tone and color scale will be quite distorted, unless you have developed a really sophisticated LUT and signal processing for filming an LCD or plasma monitor.

Any ideas of Cinevator rates? That site is all in foreign language and has no prices. I did a little quick research and some people are saying the final results are soft. How does it compare to Arri laser? I know Arri laser is very expensive, but it's the best and a good reference.

From HDCAM it looks about the same sharpness as a S16mm blow up to 35mm without the grain. Not as good as the best systems, but it looks filmic, rather than video looking.

I'd sent them an e-mail and ask them for a quote. Ask if they'll run a short test for you.

If it looks like 16mm, then it may be worth to do the cheap transfer with the plasma TV. I heard of people doing it with great results. Never seen any footage though. But I've done some quick tests once, by shooting some 35mm stills from a plasma screen. I played a DVD (no HD material or anything) and hit pause and took some photos with different brightness and contrast settings. Some of it looked pretty good for not being anything precisely done.