Cinematography texts

there's a pinned topic on this forum that sums up most of the books on the subject. I've read Cinematography by Blain Brown, Matters of Light and Depth by Lowell and Cinematography by Malkiewicz and they have been very helpful. Other typical titles are 'Painting with Light by John Alton and The Five C's of Cinematography by Joseph Mascelli. Don't know how good they are, but Painting with Light is sort of a classic text.

Make sure you spend more time making shooting film than reading them! good luck!

Hi there,

I also think Cinematography by Blain Brown is really great - covers alot of different aspects of cinematography, conceptual as well as technical. I also invested in "The Set Lighting technicians handbook" I think it's invaluable as a guide to learn about different types of lighting/diffusion/supports availible and their characteristics, I keep it close by when I'm concieving ideas for a new project and have been trying out as many different types of lights and light sources as I can.

Jacqueline

May I add a couple more? One old, one new(ish).

"The Book of Movie Photography" by David Cheshire, published by Knopf, N.Y., 1987 - covers all film fomats, Regular 8, Super 8, 16 and 35. Targeting beginning filmmakers in the immediate pre-video era, very nice. Look for it used.

For pure inspiration you should read "Rebel without a Crew" by Robert Rodriguez (published by Penguin in 1996, but still to be found sitting on the shelf at your favorite coffeshop/bookstore!), which is an autobiographical account of the making of "El Mariachi". Gut-wrenching indie blood, sweat and tears filmmaking at its finest.

Good Luck.